Phonographic Equipment

Started by malj1, February 21, 2014, 12:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

P.E. Phonographic Equipment of London c1963. [Later renamed PRW Phonographic, Ruffler and Walker]

In 1969 a particular area was having a great deal of trouble with tokens of this type [figs. 063 and 064] being offered over the counter in pubs in exchange for drinks far in excess of the amount that could have been won in the pubs fruit machine. In an effort to trap the villains, approximately 50,000 mixed types were copper-plated by PRW [an outside company under contract did the plating]. The fruit machines in the victimized pubs were loaded with these plated tokens and as soon as the villains presented non-plated tokens over the counter, police were called and they were caught. Once the problem was solved, the plated tokens were recalled and subsequently sold en masse. They were later re-aquired by PRW and then sold again. Records were not kept and it is not known where the tokens are now.

Introduced in 1967, face value 6d - later 2½p. Made by IMI and The Mint Birmingham which may account for the different shaped dots. Combined mintage of several milliions.

A further batch was chrome-plated, this was not done by PE or PRW. Probably by a user for identification although the difficuly of rapidly separating Cu-Ni from chrome-plated specimens rather negates this theory.
[Unless they were re-silvering the copper-plated ones?]

All 20mm.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

QuoteMade by IMI and The Mint Birmingham which may account for the different shaped dots. Combined mintage of several milliions.

See the left hand coins above, these have square dots while the right hand ones have round dots. This is thought to identify the maker but its unknown which is which.
Malcolm

FosseWay

I have a brass one (with square dots) which is slightly but nevertheless significantly bigger, at 21,1 mm diameter, 5,05 g. The 20 mm ones, both brass and Cu-Ni, are 3 g or so.

malj1

Yes there are several sizes and weights, in fact there are 38 different varieties listed which of course also includes the different metals.

Here is a recent acquisition, P.E SPECIAL PRIZE NO CASH VALUE rev. XXX GOOD FOR MERCHANDISE ONLY with a tablet for counter-marking a serial number. brass 24.6mm Hayes 306.25
Malcolm

malj1

Here is another, this time with a square hole, the intention clearly seems to be removal of the letters P.E

Same token but this time catalogued at # 306.36
Malcolm

malj1

A pair of the smaller 18.7mm brass P.E. Hayes 306.3 [306. is an even smaller 17.5]

These have both been counter-marked with L.E.B - the second piece also has an additional bar added.

Paul has been seeking an answer for the L.E.B for many years. now I also want these initials elucidated.

Malcolm

FosseWay

I wonder whether the one with the obliterated letters was issued shortly after 1968 when the company's name changed but before they got round to producing tokens with the new brand (Associated Leisure Ltd).

FosseWay

The first possible meaning of LEB that sprang to mind was London Electricity Board. But, while the LEB existed under that name at the time we think these tokens were made and in use, I can't really see why a state utility should use a private arcade company's tokens.

malj1

That too was Paul's suggestion but I had discounted that for the same reason as you give.

I feel it is the initials of an arcade owner. I can't imagine an arcade with these initials but I suppose anything is possible, ....thinking again perhaps something like L E at Bournemouth for instance.

Quote from: FosseWay on July 13, 2014, 02:27:33 PM
I wonder whether the one with the obliterated letters was issued shortly after 1968 when the company's name changed but before they got round to producing tokens with the new brand (Associated Leisure Ltd).

you mirror my thoughts here.  ;D
Malcolm

malj1

Another prize token P.E SPECIAL PRIZE NO CASH VALUE rev. XXX GOOD FOR MERCHANDISE ONLY with a tablet for counter-marking a serial number. brass 24.6mm Hayes 306.25

This time counter-marked T one side and K on the other.
Malcolm

redwine

Some others ;D

Both 20mm
One consimilar.
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

redwine

21mm medal aligned consimilar.
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

Thanks.
Indeed I had this name up previously but changed it to suit the catalogue entry, I have now changed it back to Phonographic Equipment.

The link is a useful addition to the discussion.
Malcolm

jsalgado

Catalogue of British Machine tokens by Ralph Hayes 1986. The P.E. tokens are listed but the name is PHONOGRAPH EQUIPMENT (London 1963) c0'y of pages 111/114.