US Mint Mockup Images of 2014 Gold Kennedy Half Dollars

Started by Filat, February 20, 2014, 07:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kena

For some reason JFK is a president that many American's admire.  I think as time goes on, this will change as time passes.

This article from a few years ago speaks explores why - http://www.salon.com/2011/01/20/jfk_dallek_anniversary/

So I suspect the final mintage to be much higher than 40,000 units.

Would I buy a gold one, no but I can see many people saying that $255 over melt is not a bad price for a one of coin design and metal type (3/4 ounce of gold).

What does still amaze me is all of the first strike, early release, etc labels that graded coins get.

I will be getting the the 2 coin clad set and the 4 coin silver set from a friend in the US.

kena

http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/news/general/first-four-gold-kennedys-go-for-20000

"If you could earn $20,000 by waiting all night outside the convention center hosting the American Numismatic Association's World Fair of Money in Rosemont, Ill., you would probably do it.

That's the value of being first in line to buy the proof gold Kennedy half dollars that the Mint was to put on sale at the show at 11 a.m. central time."

I still do not understand what makes having the first one(s) so much.  It is really going to matter serveral years down the road.

Figleaf

Quote from: kena on August 08, 2014, 01:51:21 PM
For some reason JFK is a president that many American's admire.  I think as time goes on, this will change as time passes.

There is good scientific evidence that people admire politicians with good and positive name recognition when they became politically conscious. When you become politically conscious differs from country to country and by gender, but on average, 18, the voting age in many countries, is not a bad approximation. By that theory, Kennedy is the hero of the 1943 to 1945 cohort. However, his name recognition was extended a few years by the favourable mentions he got for years after his death, so let's give him another five years: 1943 to 1950.

These people are now retiring or have retired (I am assuming retirement takes place between ages 60 and 65). Statistically, their cohort will shrink fast. Most will have died by 2030 (taking an average life expectancy for this cohort of 80). So who will be the next hero? Neither Johnson's social programs nor his foul-mouthing sits well with today's Americans. Nixon got a bad press. Ford isn't remembered for anything. My guess is it will be Jimmy Carter. He would be the hero of the 1959-1963 cohort. Those are people at the top of their spending power. Carter's biggest problem is he's still alive, but he's got the next 15 years to remedy that and he'll be sanctified immediately. ;) I think you will see his portrait on coins yet.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

kena

Ronald Reagan was a president who is admired by a younger generation than those who admire Kennedy.

Prosit

I make no attempt to speak for Americans but in the groups of people I know, Carter is known or spoken of as
the most honest, humble and moral President the US every had. In the same breath they will say and that is very likely
why he was ineffective as President.

I was born in 1955 but I do remember when Kennedy was assassinated in 1963. He was very popular and much admired.
But I might say not necessarily for any actual political accomplishments. That admiration was a social phenomena that isn't easily analyzed.

Ford is remembered as the President no one voted for or wanted and for being a Klutz.

Nixon doesn't seem to be condemned so much for what he did but for being inept enough at dirty deeds to get caught.

Reagan, I have said this before but I will say it again, Reagan was proof that the USA can survive 8 years easily enough without a president.
Both conservative and liberal will disagree with me on that. He was a public figurehead and very good at that.

The above is my opinion of US public opinion and for public opinion or my opinion or any opinion, it doesn't matter if any of it is based on facts.
It is a better opinion if it is however.

How history will remember any of them is anyone's guess. Any of them on a mainstream coin is possible but not soon.
Reagan would likely be first imo.

Dale

Quote from: Figleaf on August 08, 2014, 06:44:31 PM

...My guess is it will be Jimmy Carter. He would be the hero of the 1959-1963 cohort...

Peter

chrisild

Around here, people cheered for JFK. (West Germany, and particularly West Berlin.) After all, his speech in Berlin was widely considered to be the right signal at the right time. Who knows what his "reputation" here would have been like after a couple more years in office. (Think of Obama - first people did believe in the change he promised, and now he is famous for at least continuing what he inherited, e.g. Guantánamo, and the NSA and other "intelligence" activities.) Reagan was an actor who primarily mixed up charisma and what we call hollow pathos. ;) Not quite fair maybe, but as far as change in Europe is concerned, the initiative party, so to say, was seen elsewhere.

Back to the gold half dollars ;) well, quite obviously it is important for some to have the coins "right away". Coin Week for example reports this, about a dealer from Beverly Hills, California: "Lipton Rare Coins paid cash to several homeless people and gave them a pre-paid credit card with which to buy the coin ($1240, retail) once inside."

Christian

constanius

Quote from: Figleaf on August 07, 2014, 11:11:01 PM
Close to mass hysteria. What are they thinking? Get rich quickly?

Peter

Perhaps they should change 'IN GOD WE TRUST' to 'IN GOLD WE TRUST'.

Pat

Pat

Bimat

Hype For Gold Kennedy Half-Dollar Shows Risk Of Collectables - Dealers

8/14/2014 @ 11:16AM

Publicity continues to build for the U.S. Mint's latest collector coin, the 50th anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar gold proof, but the hype is so great that some dealers are recommending collectors stay away from the secondary market at least until the market cools down.

The three-quarter ounce gold coin was initially released on Aug. 5 during the start of the American Numismatic Association World's Fair of Money in Chicago. However, demand was so great for the coin that two days later the Mint suspended the coin sales, not just in Chicago but also at its three retail outlets in Washington D.C., Philadelphia and Denver. The coin commemorates the 1964 Kennedy half-dollar which was issued to remember President John F. Kennedy's legacy, the Mint said.

"The Mint and the ANA made the decision to ensure the safety of those wanting to purchase the coin and the safety of their own employees," the Mint said in a press release issued Aug. 7.

Mike Fuljenz, president of Universal Coin & Bullion, attended the Chicago conference and agreed the conference was at times a bit unruly as there were more than just the average coin show enthusiasts waiting to be one of the first to purchase Kennedy gold coin. According to media reports, some dealers hired people to stand in line to purchase one of the coins.

Fuljenz added some of the first buyers were being offered as much as $3,000 for their coins and once that news started to spread more people headed to the convention to try and cash in on the early hype.

After buying the coin at the convention, dealers and collectors were then able to get it authenticated and certified as an early release edition, also referred to as a first strike, which Fuljenz said can increase the coin's value.

The original price of the three-quarter ounce gold Kennedy coin was $1,240, but because of the unprecedented demand and limited quantities, authenticated first strike coins are now selling on E-bay for more than $9,000.

The extreme price increase has caused some dealers to warn customers against purchasing the coin, at least in the near term as it is unlikely that the coin will be able to retain its over-inflated value.

Keith Kelly, spokesman for Goldcoin.net, said they aren't selling the coin because of the hype.

"These coins could easily lose 50% of their value if this hype bubble bursts," he said in a press release issued earlier in the week.

Peter Hug, global trading director for Kitco Metals, said although the numismatic coin market is massive, it is an extremely risky investment. One pitfall to the Kennedy coin is that it only contains three-quarters of an ounce of gold. If the value falls sharply enough the coin might only be worth its gold content, which at current prices is around $1,000, as prices for a full ounce of gold are around $1,300.

Hug added these collectable coins are often a "hit or miss" investment and he sees them as a riskier investment than junior mining companies or penny stocks.

"For every one junior mining that thrives there are 10 that disappear. Most of the time premium for these coins dissolves," he said. "I personally don't think this coin will maintain this price premium."

Although Fuljenz agreed that buying collectable coins is an extremely risky investment, he said it is too early to tell if the Kennedy coin will maintain its value. He added that there is a market for coins that have an established provenance.

He noted Mint shutdown sales only three days into the convention, so there will be a very limited number of first strike coins, which could help them retain their value. He also added Kennedy is still an extremely popular president and there already is an established market for Kennedy paraphernalia.

Circulated half-dollar Kennedy coins, which were minted from 1964 to 2001, still have a significant premium on them. Fuljenze said that his company has sold good condition 1964 half-dollar Kennedy coins for around $10 and $12.

However, before shelling out $9,000 on a numismatic coin, investors should first decided if the provenance is worth the coin, which Fuljenz said he personally doesn't think is worth it.

"I am more interested in the coin itself and I don't really care where it was sold," he said. "If all you want is the coin then wait a bit and you can probably get it at a better price."

For investors still interested in buying the coin they can still purchase it from the U.S. Mint directly. In the Aug. 7 press release the Mint said it has enough material to create 75,000 gold Kennedy coins.

Source: Forbes
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.