Author Topic: Afghanistan, Falus of Badakhshan,  (Read 1464 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Afghanistan, Falus of Badakhshan,
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »
Durrani or Barakzay(18th - 19th century AD), I think this maybe a scarce or rare coin, not listed in KM or Valentine the only ref I have off frank on zeno is ' Please compare with 11405.Steve Album 3220 + note.'   although Stan Goron also gives a ref to my coin on Fb :There is a similar coin published in Sylloge Numorum Arabicorum Tubingen, volume XIV, coin 444. That coin has the design with the two swords and a different leaf in between. The layout of the other side is very similar though the style of engraving of your coin is different. The Tubingen coin weighs 17.27 g and is dated (12)96. It is identified as Badaskhshan,

Quite heavy by comparison with my other Afghan coins at 18.40g

Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Afghanistan, Falus of Badakhshan,
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:22:11 AM »
Another superb find !
Dear Capnbirdseye, thank you to show us regularly so nice and scarce civic coppers.

An updated catalogue of afghan coppers would be welcome...
it exists a recent one for Iranian coppers, but unfortunately, it seems, not easily available (even not at all ...)
see:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=20036.0html
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Afghanistan, Falus of Badakhshan,
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »
Another superb find !
Dear Capnbirdseye, thank you to show us regularly so nice and scarce civic coppers.

An updated catalogue of afghan coppers would be welcome...
it exists a recent one for Iranian coppers, but unfortunately, it seems, not easily available (even not at all ...)
see:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=20036.0html

Apparently coins of this mint are quite scarce but according to Stan the large heavy ones are considerably rare by comparison, I notice that the coin appears weakly struck round the edges & this is evidently because the flan is struck from a rapidly cooling hot blob of copper & the full impression of the die is not seen because presumably not enough force was applied to the hammer
Vic