Music: Composers on Coins

Started by Miguel.mateo, December 17, 2008, 05:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Have not found that info in the Schön which, for most coins, lists the KM number too. The NGC Guide, which uses the Krause data, does not list it either.

The Schön number is 36, and it says the piece is Au999, 1 g, Ø 13.92 mm. No mintage info, sorry.

Christian

Alan Glasser

Hello, and thanks, Christian.

Appreciate the help. I guess it's another "unlisted'. I have quite a few...someday I'll submit them...but in previous efforts, I wasn't able to get "true size" scans.

Alan

Alan Glasser

Hello all. Here is a bit of a challenge for all those who are familiar with Russian culture and entertainment. I am trying to find out how A.I Raykin is connected to music. I found a few references but no explanations. Would anyone have any idea about this and if so, I woulod very much appreciate your thoughts. I discovered this evening that Russia issued a Commemorative 2 Rouble coin in 2011 honoring Raykin's 100th birthday, but I can't seem to establish the musical link before I try to locate the coin for my music coin colelction.

Many thanks.  Alan in Massachusetts

chrisild

The central bank, in its description of that coin, refers to him as an actor: http://www.cbr.ru/eng/bank-notes_coins/base_of_memorable_coins/pdf/5110-0110.pdf And this Wikipedia article about Raikin mentions he was a comedian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkady_Raikin but says something about musical comedy somewhere. Guess that is as close to music as its gets ...

Christian

Alan Glasser

Hello, Christian.

I think I have ruled out Raikin as a "music coin". Thank you for your research and I also was unsuccessful in finding a link other than comedy. HOWEVER, I did stumble on a composer coin from Belarus that I was unfamiliar with until tonight. It is unlisted in SCWC nor on Numismaster. It was minted by Belarus in 2011 and honors Michal Kleofas Oginski.  From wikipedia, "Ogiński was born in Guzów, Żyrardów County (near Warsaw)[1] in the Polish Kingdom (part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth). His father Andrius was Lithuanian nobleman and governor of Trakai, in Lithuania; his mother, Paula Paulina Szembek (1740–1797), was a daughter of the Polish magnate, Marek Szembek whose ancestors were Austrians and Yadviga Rudnicka who was of polonised Lithuanian descent (family name's root is of Lithuanian origin and the suffix indicates polonisation of her family name).[citation needed]

Taught at home, young Ogiński excelled especially at music and foreign languages. He studied under Józef Kozłowski, and later took violin lessons from Viotti and Baillot.[1]

Ogiński served as an adviser to King Stanisław August Poniatowski and supported him during the Great Sejm of 1788–1792.[9] After 1790, he was dispatched to Hague as a diplomatic representative of Poland in the Netherlands[10][11] and was Polish agent in Constantinople and Paris.[8] In 1793, he was nominated to the office of the Treasurer in Lithuania.[8][9] During Kościuszko Uprising in 1794, Ogiński commanded his own unit.[12] After the insurrection was suppressed, he emigrated to France, where he sought Napoleon's support for the Polish cause.[9] At that period he saw a creation of the Duchy of Warsaw by the Emperor as a stepping stone to eventual full independence of Poland, and dedicated his only opera, Zelis et Valcour, to Napoleon.[13] In 1810, Ogiński withdrew from political activity in exile[8] and disappointed with Napoleon[14] returned to Vilna. Andrzej Jerzy Czartoryski introduced him to Tsar Alexander I, who made Ogiński a Russian Senator. Ogiński tried in vain to convince the Tsar to rebuild the Polish State. He moved abroad in 1815 and died in 1833 in Florence.[9]

As a composer, he is best known for his polonaise Pożegnanie Ojczyzny (Farewell to Country),[2] written on the occasion of his emigration to western Europe after the failure of the Kościuszko Uprising.[12][15]"

Rather an interesting life. Now I need to track down the "Pożegnanie Ojczyzny (Farewell to Country)". A music coin collector's life is never dull.

Alan in Massachusetts.   Oh...I ordered the coin as well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us Photo proficed by cis-coins.com. Photo is enlarged.

Alan Glasser

Hello, everyone. In looking through my lists of composer coins I don't as yet have, I came across the 2007 Swiss 20 Franc coin commemorating the National Bank of Switzerland with Authur Honegger the composer featured prominantly on the coin. I'm confused. Is there a relationship between Honegger and the National Bank of Switzerland? For whatever reason the coin exists, it seems to be quite elusive so if anyone out there has one (Proof preferred) I'd be interested in talking with you for a possible trade or purchase. (Oooops...should this be in the "wanted" section?)

It's interesting how composers are slapped on coins by many countries that have nothing to DO with the composer. My collection consists of  MANY of these. Since the years of issue often correspond to birth/death years, 200th birthday, 200 years after death and the like, I guess composers that left a worldwide impact can be recognized by any nation...but... Bach by Andorra and Cuba, Beethoven by Cuba, Liberia (who issued a coin for virtually anything or anyone breathing...or not), North Korea and Paraguay, Chopin by the Ivory Coast, Mongolia and Niue Island (There is supposed to be a $2 Chopin coin from Niue...but I sure as heck can't find one...but I did JUST find KM381 and 382, honoring RUSSIAN musicians) , ...and on and on and on....These are just a few examples of coins issued by non-related nations for famous composers. In a way, it is fascinating to try (and usually fail) to establish a connection between composer and country. The Mozart Benin coin(s) really have me scratching my head...though I only have 1 of the 2 issued. Much of the fun is in the hunt and discovery of new pieces (or not current ones that were missed...like the 2010 Niue Island Russian Composers coins...I don't know who the composers are...but it will be fun researching the coins...and hunting for them)

Well, this post is "diverse" in subjects presented. I'd better end it.

Be well, everyone.   Alan   Massachusetts    (now hunting Niue on E-Bay) 

Figleaf

Alan, I hate to break it to you, but these "coins" are made especially for people like you. When you go into a department store, you will immediately find yourself in the perfume and leather handbag department. Visit a bookshop and the first thing you see is books on cats, dogs and cooking. Never look for the fish, vegetables and meat near the entrance of a big supermarket. Similarly, on pseudo coins, the subject is big, the denomination and country of issue tiny. Makes sense, since they are not relevant.

Marketeers have analysed all our interests. Music is just one of them, royalty and small birdies are mainly for females; tennis, cartoon and fantasy figures, soccer and car racing for males. Christmas and vintage cars are for doting granddads. The Chinese horoscope is for Asians. Historic heroes, scientist and discoverers for the blasted intellectuals. All these themes are richly represented on pseudo coins, always subject up ahead with the rest of the design built around it. The issue is not how many pictures you can put in metal, but how many countries are willing to put their name on the picture (not enough, hence pseudo-countries).

I am not begrudging you your interest, just telling you that what you collect should not be judged by the standards of circulating money, because it isn't.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Quote from: alglasser on October 19, 2012, 03:12:36 AM
In looking through my lists of composer coins I don't as yet have, I came across the 2007 Swiss 20 Franc coin commemorating the National Bank of Switzerland with Authur Honegger the composer featured prominantly on the coin. I'm confused. Is there a relationship between Honegger and the National Bank of Switzerland?

Once you start collecting bank notes with composers on them, you will find out. 8) Arthur Honegger is depicted on the current 20 CHF note. So the designer of the coin, Roger Pfund, picked one detail of that note and used it for the 20 CHF coin. See my earlier post (reply #77) here.

And while I'm at it ... in a similar way, the 50 CHF gold coin issued on the same occasion uses part of an old 50 CHF note. Ferdinand Hodler was not a composer though, so no need to buy that one. ;)

Christian

paisepagal

I stay away from liberian, nieu and those sorts of 'coins'. I beleive one of them made a 9/11 coin too ?

But as far as figuring out the connection, it depends on you.....for instance India and Italy issued circulating coins honouring Louis braille, but France oddly did not ....where's the connection between India and Louis Braille ?...none really...except that his innovation has helped a few million of our citizens over here.... has beethoven inspired cubans in the same way ? Your call  :)

chrisild

Quote from: paisepagal on October 19, 2012, 12:05:33 PM
for instance India and Italy issued circulating coins honouring Louis braille, but France oddly did not

Not quite that "oddly". ;)  The French mint issued two collector pieces for the 190th (now that could be considered odd) anniversary of Braille's birth; here is an image of the silver coin. So I suppose they just did not want to issue yet another piece ten years later ...  But in 2009, Belgium issued a Braille commemorative coin. And even the US issued a collector coin on that occasion.

Christian

izotz

I agree with you all about how many countries issue pseudo-coins with the only purpose of earning money. Maybe I understand some issues like the Braille ones, but not for those strange countries.

Did Bach ever go to Cuba?  ;D I can't find many connections between Bach and Cuba except perhaps this coin :

and some "special" music (Bach to Cuba) :

chrisild

Quote from: izotz on October 19, 2012, 01:27:32 PM
some "special" music (Bach to Cuba)

Close but no cigar. ;D

It will not be possible to draw a strict dividing line - "good" commems here, "bad" commems there. For example, around here, 1985 was the "European Year of Music" - that is why the German commem issued in that year shows a logo and, on the edge, the names Schütz, Bach, Händel, Scarlatti and Berg. In other countries, 1985 was apparently considered to be an "International Year of Music" - Cuba, Cambodia and a few others issued coins and/or stamps on that occasion. Why not?

Coins that I will almost always avoid are pieces that were created by numismatic agencies and then issued in the name (oops, by) some country that will put its name on the pieces and get a share of the revenue. Again, sometimes it may be difficult to find out what category an issue is in. When in doubt, I won't buy it. Exception: When I have my doubts but like the design, I may buy it ...

Christian

Alan Glasser

Wow, GREAT comments, guys. I guess it is rather hard to explain but my Music "coin" collecting is a marriage of my 2 passions, Piano/copmosition and coin collecting. Note I didn't call it "Numisatics" because I fully realize that the music coin hobby has very little to do with numismatics. My U.S.A. type set from 1793-1963 is very much the opposite. I devoted much study to that and have a decent library of references that I pour through from time to time to learn more. Unfortunately, THAT collection is at a standstill as what I need now is priced in high 4 figures or more...too pricy for me. I guess when I had to retire at 56 and was collecting on my disability insurance policies (Kidney transplant prohibited me from continuing to teach in a public school setting...too much risk of infection) I needed to find a more affordable way to continue collecting. Since I had already years ago started the music coin hobby, my interest exploded and it has since carried me through in an area I can afford. Need to keep the brain busy!! True, some of the coins (MANY in fact) have questionable "value" as legitimate coins, but if they meet my guidlines for inclusion (some don't) then I very much enjoy the hunt and hopefully the eventuall acquisition of the coin(s). Perhaps the most outlandish piece I hunted down for years was the 25 Francs of Mozart from the Congo. It is acrillyc and about the size of a dinner plate. Weighs a ton but I LOVE that damn stupid coin. problem is that I can't figure out a way to include it in an album!!!!

I have a secret fantasy that someday I will be permitted to display the collection somewhere...perhaps at a big international convention...or maybe just the large coin shows in Boston. It is a source of pride and to some degree, beauty.

For the many good poeple out there that have helped me locate coins in the past, first off, THANK YOU! I HAVE located the $2 Niue Chopin coin that I mentioned I couldn't find in my last post. I also found the 2 "Nuie Russian Musician" coins of 2010 and though they are performers, a sub category in my collection, they are low on the priority list.

One change to the collection, I have elected to terminate the sub category on "authors whose works were set to music by prominant composers" and I am thinking that the "Musically Affiliated People" may also "bite the dust" as we say here in the States:

Music Coins, Musically Affiliated Famous People

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
1 Switzerland  5 Francs  1979  KM-58  BU  902,000               

Desiderius Erasmus (1436-1566)
2. Netherlands  10 ECU  1991  X# 44a  BU  25,000               
3. Netherlands  2 Euro  2011  KM-__  BU  __         Unlisted         

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe  (1749-1832)
4. People's Republic of China  10 Yuan  1991  KM-442  Proof  30,000      
5. Germany, Federal Republic  5 Marks  1982  KM-156  Proof  350,000      
6. Germany, Federal  Republic  10 Marks  1999G  KM-197  Proof  __      

Franz Grillparzer (1791-1872)
7. Austria  20 Schillings  1991  KM 2995.1  Unc. 463,000            
* Austria  25 Schilling  1964  KM-2895.1  Proof  35,000  LAST PAGE OF SECTION      

Johann Gottfried Herder (1744-1803)
8. Germany, Federal Republic  10 Marks  1994G  KM-184  Proof  450,000      

Josef Hlavka (1831-1908)
9. Czech republic  200 Korun  2008  KM-98  Proof  __               

Pieter Corneliszoon Hooft (1581-1647)
10. Netherlands  5 EURO  1997  X  #-132  BU  100,000             

Jan Amos Komensky (1592-1670)
11. Czechoslovakia  10 Korun  1957  KM-48  Proof  5,000            

Philipp Melanchthon (1497-1660)
12. Germany, Federal Republic  10 Marks  1997F  KM-189.1  Proof  150,000      

Zdenek Nejedly (1878-1972)
13. Czechoslovakia  50 Korun  1978  KM-90  Proof  5,000            

Arthur SchopenHauer  (1788-1860)
14. Germany, Federal Republic  10 Marks 1988D KM-168  Proof  350,000

Next Page in Album

Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965)
1. German Democratic Republic  10 Marks  1975  KM-56  BU  99,000      
2. Germany, Federal Republic  5 Marks  1975  KM-143  Proof  250,000      
3. Togo  100 Francs 2000 KM__  Proof __      Unlisted      

Stendhal (AKA Marie-Henri Beyle 1783-1842)
4. France  10 Francs  1983  KM-953  AU  2,951,000               

Maria Theresa (1770-1780)
5.  Austria  Thaler  !780 (Restrike)  KM-T1  Proof                 
6.  Austria  25 Schillings  1967  KM-2901  Proof  27,800            
7.  Austria  500 Schillings  1980  KM-2949  Proof?  171,600   

Sorry for the longwinded and probably very uninteresting post. I have to wait 2 hours after taking my meds before breakfast...and I was late this morning!

Have a terrific day/evening everyone.  Alan  Massachsetts         

izotz

Quote from: alglasser on October 19, 2012, 03:52:40 PM
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe  (1749-1832)
4. People's Republic of China  10 Yuan  1991  KM-442  Proof  30,000      
5. Germany, Federal Republic  5 Marks  1982  KM-156  Proof  350,000      
6. Germany, Federal  Republic  10 Marks  1999G  KM-197  Proof  __      

I guess it is no use for you, but when we were in Frankfurt WoC meeting, there was a temporary exhibition in the Geld Museum :
Goethe Auf Geld (Goethe on money).

They had a nice book about it including many photos on. I think most of them were banknotes and Notgelds. Very interesting anyway.

Alan Glasser

Hello, Izotz.

I did a bit of reading about Goethe and his influence on music, and his works set to music by famous composers. He also has some wonderful quotes about music, such as , "Mozart is the human incarnation of the divine force of creation", "A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul" ,  Architecture is frozen music" and I expect there are more.

Alan