Author Topic: Music: Composers on Coins  (Read 86503 times)

translateltd

Re: Music: Composers on Coins
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 01:03:23 PM »
Mendelssohn, mentioned earlier but not shown, I don't think,

and also that famous organist and biographer of Bach (I have it on my shelf, still unread), Albert Schweitzer

and also Hildegard of Bingen

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2011, 06:37:24 PM »
Chrislid.

THANKS!!!! Been away in our Florida house for a couple of weeks...haven't had a chance to check e-mail so I appreciate the info very much!!!! Thanks for keeping me in mind and for being so thoughtful!!

Alan...back to the cold reality of Massachusetts
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:56:06 AM by alglasser »

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2011, 06:42:05 PM »
Translateld.

Many thanks. I have the first 2, but von Bingen escaped my attention. Guess I have a little reading to do and maybe a bit of searching. THANKS!!!!! Appreciate you're remembering my music coin addiction.

Alan   MA
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:55:43 AM by alglasser »

translateltd

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »
Translateld.

Many thanks. I have the fiorst 2, but von Bingen escaped my attention. Guess I have a little reading to do and maybe a bit of searching. THANKS!!!!! Appreciate you're remembering my music coin addiction.

Alan   MA

I still have the Hildegard coin - PM me if interested (no obligation ...)

Cheers,

Martin

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 11:41:44 PM »
I enjoy a lot with this thread.

I think you didn't mention this before :

Ukraine 2 Hryvni.
Volodymyr Ivasiuk : composer, poet, singer, one of the pioneers of Ukrainian pop music

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2011, 04:32:52 PM »
Is this the only coin devoted to a pop musician?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2011, 04:59:33 PM »
Hi, Peter. Actually no. Poland has honored a few contemporary musicians. I have some of the coins and will send info when I have a moment. Just headed out for a zillion errands.

Many countries have coins for "popular" musicians, Presley, Michael Jackson among others...the BeeGees and again, I'll search my "Performer/musicians" sub sub sub category of my collection for others. I believe there are a few.

Alan   MA

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2011, 06:33:41 PM »
Hello, Figleaf, and everyone, and depending on your faith, Happy Holidays to one and all.

Peter, I have finally gotten to your question about "contempory" musicians. Sorry it took so long. Actually between the Florida trip and an unexpected MASS of work for a friend, I haven't been free to do much of anything. The "work" involved evaluating and listing a large collection of coins and notes for sale on E-Bay, listing them, (selling most!) keeping meticulous records, (which I HATE doing...) I have been a very busy boy! I thought I retired...I LOVE the work. Very much fun and almost done! I am going to have to find another sweet little old lady who has coins...because other than Boston, I can't recommend ANYONE local to them to get an honest appraisal and offer.

Anyway, back to comtemporary popular musicians. well, I'm not sure what "popular" means...I will assume it is "non-classical" music for the regular guy. Well, I found several composers/performers in my collection (I call them all "Famous Performers", and here they are:

Egypt, Abdal Halem Hafez
Kazakhstan, Janbyl Jabeyev
Sierra Leone, Michael Jackson  to be continued in next post...I don't feel like dealing with the famous jumping screen.  Alan in Massachusetts

Egypt,

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2011, 06:51:21 PM »
Hello again. Here are a few more contemporary musicians/performers I have in my collection:
Egypt, Omm Kalsoum
Alderny, John Lennon
U.S.A., Glen Miller
Poland, Nieman Czeslaw
Gibralter, Elvis Presley
Ukraine, Anatoly Solovianenko
Egypt, Mohaed Abdel Wahab
Jamaica, Robert Marley (This coin has a bit of a "MAN WAS I LUCKY" story. I'll share momentarily.
Isle of Man, The Bee Gees.
The last 2 I had to look up in SCWC because I think they are in my "composer" collection instead of the "famous performer" collection. Gasp! That means...shock and disgust, The BeeGees must be next to BEETHOVEN And Robert Marley must be right in there with MOZART! I will have to correct THAT outlandish error post haste! (or in U.S. lingo..."wicked fast"). Poor Beethoven and Mozart...sitting next to "those commoners". :>)  Oh, I am on the trail of another Polish piece or 2 newly minted...and by "popular", I have gone as far back as the 1950's for a few of these contemporaty perormers.

Again, regardless of faith, best wishes for the holidays and the New Year for those that observe holidays.   Alan Massachusetts

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
This may or may not be of interest, but what the heck...I have some free time and I said I would tell it. No snoring please!

I discovered the Robert Marley coins a few years back and put one example on my "hope to get" list for my Music Cons Collection. Anyway, I found outlandishly priced certified examples of KM 171 and KM 172 was also out of my budget with over 1/2 ounce gold. So, I figured I would contact the people in Jamaica (Bank of Jamaica?) and see if they had any of the KM 171 kicking around. Well, they did, but also said they had a few KM-172. So I did the math and realized that they were selling the KM172 at less than gold content (at that time around $400 or so) so I splurged and went for the gold. So glad I did...but also kicking myself for not buying all of them! Anyway, KM 171 still eludes me (as does KM 161 which has a drummer on the reverse...for my musical instruments coin set). Ah yes...the bargains that got away...but sometimes I'm in the right place at the right time.

Gee, I would like to read some "right time, right place bargain stories" here as to how unaffordable coins wound up in collections simply by good luck.  Guess that would be a different topic.  Alan   Massachusetts

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2011, 07:36:06 PM »
I hope the gold price matters little to you and the picture on the coin does. Thinking that the current price means anything is taking the wild gyrations of the market for reality. Marley fits in your collection. That's pretty real. Or you could look at it this way: if you would have bought the whole lot, you, or the buyer would have melted them...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2011, 07:38:11 PM »
Hi, Dale.

Swing????  SWING???!!! Surely you mean Sonata, Suite, Symphony...surely you jest!   :>)

Actually I am a bit of a "Swing" and Blues fan, though I am classically trained and definitely lean that way in my composing...

I tried to listen to the example you sent but every time I try to open up a video on Youtube, lhe little spinny thing on the screen freezes up the whole computer and I have to reboot.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2011, 07:47:24 PM »
Yes, It was Marley that I was after...it was just such an amazing opportunity to pad the portfolio (My planner believes in sole "Tangible gold" holdings") that I let slip. Well, the Marley coin is a beauty and without that opportunity, I probably still wouldn't have it in my collection.

Oh, I finally broke down and bought Austria KM 3006, 1000 Schillings, hoping to take advantage of the lower gold price and the foreign exchange changes...but it went the other way. Can't quite figure it out but figured that I had better order the coin when I saw one available. MA-shop.com gets my business again. I am waiting for it now, leaving only 1 Austria coin I need to complete having all the music related issues of Austria, KM 2999.

Alan   Massachusetts

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ยท UK
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
Hi, Dale.

Swing????  SWING???!!! Surely you mean Sonata, Suite, Symphony...surely you jest!   :>)

Actually I am a bit of a "Swing" and Blues fan, though I am classically trained and definitely lean that way in my composing...

I tried to listen to the example you sent but every time I try to open up a video on Youtube, lhe little spinny thing on the screen freezes up the whole computer and I have to reboot.

Always liked this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62ZSQUyU00s
The brass arrangement of this (Mark Freeh) is damn tricky to play!
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....