Author Topic: Music: Composers on Coins  (Read 87691 times)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: Music: Composers on Coins
« Reply #210 on: October 12, 2013, 10:02:39 PM »
San Marino may issue 2euro commem coin in 2014 on 90th Ann of death of Giacomo Puccini.

Giacomo Antonio Domenico Michele Secondo Maria Puccini ( 22 December 1858 – 29 November 1924), generally known as Giacomo Puccini, was an Italian composer whose operas are among the most frequently performed in the standard repertoire.
Puccini has been called "the greatest composer of Italian opera after Verdi.While his early work was rooted in traditional late-19th-century romantic Italian opera, he successfully developed his work in the 'realistic' verismo style, of which he became one of the leading exponents.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2013, 01:44:02 AM »
Excellent, Pabitra. Thanks for the information. I have only 3 issues for Puccini; from Italy, the Isle of Man and Malawi. Puccini coins could use some new members!

Many thanks.  Alan

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2013, 08:47:20 AM »
Hi Alan,
Poland will issue three coins on Agnieszka Osiecka on Decemeber 5, 2013.

Agnieszka Osiecka (October 9, 1936 in Warsaw, Poland – March 7, 1997) was a poet, writer, author of theatre and television screenplays, film director and journalist. She was a prominent Polish songwriter, having authored the lyrics to more than 2000 songs, and is considered an icon of Polish culture.

Does she qualify as composer, having composed songs?

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »
Tchaikovsky from Ukraine. Coins released on 4th Nov 2013.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2014, 06:52:46 PM »
Portugal to issue a coin in March 2014 on Marcos Portugal.
Marcos António da Fonseca Portugal (March 24, 1762 – February 17, 1830) was a Portuguese classical composer, who achieved great international fame for his operas in Italian.
Portugal was born in Lisbon. He first studied music at the Patriarchal Seminary in Lisbon where, as a 14 year old student, he wrote his first work, a Miserere. He later worked as composer and organist at the Patriarchal See, and was maestro at the Theatre of Salitre in Lisbon. He lived in Italy from late 1792 to 1800, possibly funded by the Prince Regent, D. João. He wrote 21 operas for various Italian theatres, the first being I due gobbi (also known as Confusioni della Somiglianza) premièred in Florence in the spring of 1793. His version of The Marriage of Figaro premièred in Venice in 1799.
Marcos Portugal returned to his home country in 1800. The huge success that his opere buffe had earned him assure him a still unsurpassed international fame in Portuguese music history. He became maestro at the São Carlos National Theatre in Lisbon, and was appointed music master at the Patriarchal Seminary in Lisbon. He continued to write operas, mainly opere serie, and a large number of religious works, until moving to the Portuguese colony of Brazil in 1811, from where the Prince Regent had called him. Upon arriving, Marcos Portugal was appointed music master to the sons and daughters of the Prince Regent, and became the official Royal Composer.
He wrote mainly religious music until at least 1824, date of his last known surviving autograph. In Portugal and Brazil, his reputation rests mainly on his religious music output, a genre cultivated throughout his composing life. He remained in Rio de Janeiro when the Portuguese Court returned to Portugal, in 1821, continuing to serve his pupil, the First Emperor of Brazil, D. Pedro, as he had previously served his father, king John VI of Portugal. He died in Rio de Janeiro in 1830.
In 2010, Bampton Classical Opera presented the UK première of Portugal's The Marriage of Figaro (1799). Marcos Portugal was born six years after Mozart, who had composed his version of Figaro thirteen years prior to Portugal's. Like most theatre composers of the time, Portugal set several librettos that had proven successful for earlier operas, such as Metastasio’s Demofoonte (premièred at La Scala, Milan in 1794) and Artaserse; and he set many stories that had been used before, including Serse, Alceste, Adrasto, Semiramide and Sofonisba. By reusing earlier librettos and stories, composers could expect their audience to follow the story more easily, which is probably why Portugal decided to do his own version of the famous play by Beaumarchais. His librettist was Gaetano Rossi.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »

Belgium is a reluctant issuer of commem coins, unlike its neighbour Luxembourg, which avails all opportunities. Let us see if i succeed in getting a coin issued on 200th birth ann. of Adolphe Sax, the inventor of Saxophone, next year.

Belgium has decided to issue collector coins of Silver and Gold on Adolphe Sax
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:08:53 PM by <k> »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2014, 08:35:52 PM »
Charles Cammielleri on Malta coin

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #217 on: February 22, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »
Jean Philippe Rameau on coin from France

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2014, 09:20:33 PM »
Hello Pabitra!!!

Rameau on a coin...Finally! This is a "must have". Still waiting for Debussy to make an appearance on a French coin but Rameau is most welcome. Thank so much for posting!!!

Alan...snow is melting...only about 4' remaining at the beginning of our driveway!!

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2014, 11:03:12 PM »
For a French Debussy coin you may have to wait another four years ... or maybe there will be one from another country. :)  Not sure whether we already have this one in the list: Giuseppe Verdi on a Russian 25 ruble piece (silver, 5 oz!) http://www.cbr.ru/eng/bank-notes_coins/Base_of_memorable_coins/ShowCoins.aspx?cat_num=5115-0092  Image from the central bank's site below. If you go to that page, you can get an enlarged view with a "magnifying glass" function.

Christian

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #220 on: February 23, 2014, 03:33:17 PM »
Hello, Christian, and everyone.

Thank you for posting the Russian Verdi coin. It is gorgeous and I have a particular affinity for the larger pieces.

I am taking the grandson of my neighbor to a large coin show in Massachusetts, USA in the middle of March. It will be his first coin show (He is 17 and an avid collector of U.S. Type coins) and I haven't been to a show in maybe 15 years or more. I hope to do a little hunting for some new additions to my Music Coin set. I wonder what chances are that the Russian Verdi coin will be there? I guess I'll find out.

Anyway, thanks for posting this Verdi coin. Definitely on the "look for" list.

Alan

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #221 on: March 18, 2014, 09:50:27 PM »
Gioachino Rossini, coin from Italy

Offline Andrey5

« Reply #222 on: March 19, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »
Beethoven
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:34:15 PM by <k> »
Collecting African coins and tokens, selling more than 4500 world coins from www.avscoins.com

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #223 on: March 19, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »
This may look like a coin commemorating Beethoven's birth in Bonn in December 1770, 150 year before this piece was issued, but it is in fact a cleverly designed emergency issue. Around a year later, in August 1921 hyperinflation started and this token was worthless.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #224 on: April 07, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »
Hello to all, and especially those who have so kindly posted new composer coins and coins with other musical "themes".  I really appreciate all of the updates and they are so helpful in keeping me abreast of new issues ...though my buying is on "slow speed" at the moment.

I am attaching photos of a new issue I stumbled on quite by accident honoring British composer Benjamin Britten. It just arrived today and I must say, it will probably rank on a nearly tied basis with the Isle of Man coin honoring the Beegees in the "butt ugly" category. (Isle of Man  The Beegees 50th Anniversary  1 Crown 2009  KM-1414). Still, it's a first coin for Benjamin Britten in my set so I'm pleased to have it.

Again, thanks to all and warm greetings from the U.S.A.

Alan  Massachusetts, U.S.A.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:32:16 PM by Figleaf »