Author Topic: Music: Composers on Coins  (Read 87045 times)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: Music: Composers on Coins
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2013, 08:01:27 PM »
Another expensive coin should be on your list.

Malta National Anthem composer coin.

You might compile a national Anthems ebook with images of coins, short bio of the composers, mp3 of the national anthem and lyrics with translation in English.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2013, 10:44:39 PM »
Much of that work was already done here and here (no composers). All you need is the coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2013, 10:54:36 PM »
Peter, I'll be on the look out for the William of Nassau addition. It will be (when I can afford a nice one) the oldest "composer coin" in the collection. An iteresting direction to persue.

Makes sense, since the Wilhelmus is reckoned to be the world's oldest national anthem.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2013, 11:07:33 PM »
Hello once again, Peter and Pabitra.

Peter...the "National Anthem Site" is a rich source of potential additions to the "Nationalism" section of my Music Coin collection. There are several familiar names for whom I have coins already...but I now believe that I have just started to scratch the surface. Oh boy...time for another job to finance this "new" avenue of collecting. Thank you for posting the site.

Pabitra...I'm researching the Malta piece as we speak. No KM  number yet I believe but it was issued in 2013. Definitely will add the coin to the "needed" list. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Alan

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »
Makes sense, since the Wilhelmus is reckoned to be the world's oldest national anthem.

... or rather the oldest musical work that today is a national anthem. ;)

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2013, 05:40:50 PM »
Well yes, if you count non-musical stuff, the Welsh dragon is an older national anthem ::) Don't tell the Japanese.

Peter

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »

Pabitra...I'm researching the Malta piece as we speak. No KM  number yet I believe but it was issued in 2013. Alan

Yes. It is yet to be listed and may take a year or two, to get listed.My area of work basically involves unlisted coins.

How about this. From Poland, just issued. Does it meet your criteria of Composers on coins?

best

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »
Hello, Pabitra.

Of course I am interested in the Polish "Composer" ? coin. I am sending a scan of your photo to a friend who lives in Poland and perhaps she can tell me who the coin is honoring. I'll do my research and see what "category" the "person" would fit in within the Music Coin set. Then...the hunt begins (when it is issued).

Many thanks!!!

Alan

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2013, 09:59:37 PM »
Of course I am interested in the Polish "Composer" ? coin. I am sending a scan of your photo to a friend who lives in Poland

You can see about that "composer" here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyprian_Norwid

A 2 Zloty coin is also beeing issued on him and as is the case, it is circulating comemm which is available at face value in branches of National Bank. The relase date is April 8 and it should be available within a fortnight of that date.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2013, 09:39:11 AM »
Alglasser,

Another composer coin.  This time actually from Ukraine ( and not a mistake with Kazakhstan, This was the mixup I had)

Ukrainian composer, opera singer, a brilliant actor, author of the first Ukrainian opera " Cossack beyond the Dunay", which entered the golden fund of national musical heritage and the 150th anniversary of premieres this opera. This opera is a remarkable achievement of the composer, which embodies national peculiarities of Ukrainian folklore and life. Moreover, Semyon Stepanovich Gulak-Artemovsky - author of the libretto and the first performer Party Karas.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2013, 03:24:52 PM »
Hello, Pabitra. I hope this note finds you and your family well.

Thank you very much for the history and photos of the new Ukraine composer coin. It is truly a beautiful design. I will begin looking for an example for my collection this evening. I very much appreciate your help in letting me know of new composer/music issues. My example of The Mukan Tulebayev coin you told me about has arrived and is a very welcomed addition to the composer set. I am researchig Norwid Cyprian to see if the coins "qualify" for inclusion into the music set. I fould literature links to him but still searching musical connections. Again, thanks.

Many thanks and warm wishes form the  Alan in the U.S.A.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2013, 09:26:21 AM »
You are most welcome, Alan.

Among the old coins, erstwhile West Germany, East Germany and Austria happen to have issued maximum number of coins on composers. The list is big but I am sure you must have got them by now.

Will keep in mind about new coins, which is my area of interest.

with best wishes from Pabitra in Belgium

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2013, 12:26:21 AM »
Hello, Pabitra.

I am quite proud that I have just recently completed the Austria Composer coin set. A few were a bit tricky to find in nice UNC, and the gold coins were budget busters but my "piano lesson" earned monies were carefully saved until I could afford each piece. I believe I am very close in Germany and East Germany as well in completing  their music coins in my collection. Poland has many composer coins as well, particularly Chopin and Paderewski (both also a famed pianists). The Poland Y-202 and Y-205 coins have eluded me and prices are prohibitive when I see them for sale but I believe I have the other issues in the collection including Prova issues.

I have been collecting music coins for probably 30 years or so...much more in recent years and I have many pieces to still add. I am very appreciative of your keeping me informed of new issues. Interestingly, I do not recall a single coin from Belgium with a musical reference as the subject. My collection is large and I do not "know" all the pieces in the collection so I may be missing some. I think I will go through the inventory to see if I am wrong. My collection is divided into categories and the coins are listed by performer, composer.....and not by country.

Thanks for your note.  Alan

Update. I have the Django Reinhardt 10 Euro of 2010 coin from Belgium. He is loved for his contributions to European Jazz Guitar music.. I also have the Belgium 2 Euros Queen Elizabeth Music Competition of 2012 coin. No KM number yet. Are there other Belgium coins that are music related???  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:51:45 AM by alglasser »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #148 on: April 01, 2013, 12:01:03 PM »
German speaking nations give maximum importance to Piano and Violin instrumental music and hence maximum composers are commemed there.

Russian speaking countries give importance to Ballet as most popular art form but still you will find coins on some composers like A P Borodin, A N Scriabi, Hamza Hakimzadi Niyazi etc.

Belgium, most of which is Dutch speaking, favours painting as the art form of choice. Guitar playing Jean "Django" Reinhart is only music composer who ppears to havbe been commemed on a coin unless you include Maurice Maeterlinck, who works have been subject of opera,  which is the art form of choice in french speaking part of Belgium ( as it is France).

Belgium is a reluctant issuer of commem coins, unlike its neighbour Luxembourg, which avails all opportunities. Let us see if i succeed in getting a coin issued on 200th birth ann. of Adolphe Sax, the inventor of Saxophone, next year.

Italian speaking areas prefer to go for sculpture, which incidentally happens to be my favourite form of art.

Elizabeth Music Competition 2 Euros bimetallic has been assigned S#290. SCWC may take quite some time to copy from it.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2013, 12:27:37 PM »
German speaking nations give maximum importance to Piano and Violin instrumental music and hence maximum composers are commemed there.

There is an interesting difference between Austria and Germany by the way. Not "fundamental" but rather gradual - on Austrian coins you tend to find more composers while on German coins writers will show up more often ...

As for Sax, those who do not want to wait could buy a Belgian 200 fr note. ;) Link only as "paper" is not exactly on topic here:
(obv) http://www.ecb.europa.eu/euro/exchange/be/shared/img/be200_v.jpg
(rev) http://www.ecb.europa.eu/euro/exchange/be/shared/img/be200_r.jpg

Christian