MULE coins of India - A collection of extremely rare and visually striking mules

Started by gollada, February 01, 2014, 12:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

repindia

Gollada,

Please check the archives for the Madras proof 20 Cash coin. You would see that many of these have a die crack on the EIC shield, while others do not. The circulation strikes do not show this die crack. A die crack does not automatically mean the dies were used for circulation.

I do not think my 1804 mule coin being proof is a major discovery. The Stevens catalog which is online is outdated and he might have updated it for his book. There are so many types and dates on dump coins which are not even listed and this is no way is exhaustive. It is an excellent guide but do not take it as a definitive one. I think even Paul will agree on this statement.

I met a guy whom I told had some unlisted dates and he was insistent that this could not happen since these were not in the catalog! I could not get my point across and was firm that the catalog was exhaustive.

While you are at it, please also search the mules of different countries I mentioed-- Madras/Sierra Leone and Madras/Ceylon and you would see some are proof and others are well circulated.

gollada

Hi RepIndia,

We are debating this because none of the sources are exhaustive :).  I think some of the Bonham pices were not even known to Pridmore.  We are always going to find new coins or errors as long as we actively look for them.  If we are not willing to investigate, we are not going to find new varieties.  I remember reading that David fore even went to the extent of counting the number of grooves in the reeded rupees.  All we need to do is find a proof 1804 mule and check if it has a vertical gap running through the middle of the 'D' and 'O'.  Please don't get me wrong, I am not asking you to drop everything and check your coins.  I am just trying to say, if any reader comes across a photo of a proof 1804 mule ,then please post it.

I understand proofs can be found at lower grades.  Proof is not a reflection of the coin's quality/grade.  It is the process of minting, to ensures that maximum details is captured at the time of strike. I understand, you can have proof coins graded 60 or below and as an example they may be graded PF60BN.    But most of the graded 1804 mules I have seen do not carry the 'PF' prefix.  Even the MS63 (http://www.pcgs.com/Cert/28122838/) coin had nothing to indicate it was struck as a proof.

As for the 48th Rupee and Sierra Leone mule, the two examples I have seen have very weak strike on the Sierra Leone side, which may be because they were experimental coins and the mint workers were still tinkering to get the pressure right.

I only expect die cracks in a proof restrike.  I fail to understand why they would use cracked dies for an Original proof strike.

Thanks,

Gollada

gollada

Hi All,

Added another mule. This time a two headed Indian Rupee (2011 to 2019 series)

Coin3: This is an Indian Rupee struck with two Obverse - both sides have the Ashoka's lion capital and 'Bharat' / 'India' written around the lion capital. There there is no date and denomination. 

It is PCGS verified and graded as MS64 .

Thank YouCoin3.jpg

dheer

Quote from: gollada on February 07, 2017, 10:20:49 AM
Hi All,

Just wanted to share another addition.  Hope you like it.

This is an Indian Rupee struck with two Obverse. 

It is PCGS verified and graded as MS64 (http://www.pcgs.com/cert/80786142).

Thank You

Thanks Gollada,
There is still some dispute on this Rupee coin. The experts have not yet agreed that this is genuine.
PCGS grading does add authenticity. However even grading companies do make errors at times.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

gollada

Hi Dheer,

Thank you for your thoughts.

PCGS has verified and graded the two-headed Indian Rupee  after physically examining the coin.  At the very least, I would expect a coin grading company of PCGS' repute to verify the coin dimension, weight, inspect the rim and check for basic signs of tampering or tooling.

I fail to understand on what basis the experts in this group are disputing this. Specially, given they haven't inspected the coin physically in person.

Also, just because there are some fake 1939 rupee coins out there, does not mean that all 1939 Rupee coins (including the authentic ones) are fakes or a forgeries.

I hope these objections are not entrenched in preconceived notions or swayed by gut feelings. 

Mules struck with 2 obverse or 2 reverse are more common than most people believe.  Below are some contemporary examples coming out of modern Mints of repute:
        1.  2000 US Sacagawea Dollar and Washington Statehood Quarter Dollar  
        2.  Mike Byers Inc. - U.S. Gold Coins - Numismatic Rarities - Fine Art
        3.  Two Tailed Australian 50c (Source: Noble Auctions)

Regards,

gollada

Added another interesting mule coin to the collection .  This one is struck with two Reverses and has contradicting denominations one either side:

Coin 4:  British India, 1897 Mule Tea Garden Token with two Reverses (two contradicting denominations and no date)(Pridmore 119).  Assam Tea Gardens, Sagurnal (Division, Sylhet) Mule 10 and 9 pice (1897) in brass by R.Heaton & Sons. Good extremely fine and extremely rare.
Ex F.Pridmore (with his ticket) and Mark E.Freehill collections.

Can anyone tell me what the obverse of this original coins looks like?

gollada

Hi Mister T,

The usage of the Tokens was limited to the boundary of the issuing Tea Estate.   I  like to think of the Tea Garden tokens of British India as a pseudo-currency, since it was such an integral part of the Estate's economy and commerce.  The only difference being these were issued by Estates as opposed to States.  Not only were they used to pay the workers, but were also extensively used as a currency within the Estates. 

There were shops within the Estate where the coolies/workers could use their tokens to purchase food and other essentials. These shops were run by the Estate management and often sold goods at higher prices.   The unsuspecting workers were forced to purchase goods at a higher price meaning they were getting less for their money. Some local services were also paid for by tokens. The shops and the essential services served as another stream of income for the owners. The tokens also allowed the workers to go about their day to day activity, and being able to buy food and refreshments as and when they needed. The only time they need the real money was when they were stepping out of the estate.

One of the key reasons the token system was introduced is to try and retain the workers.  The working conditions were harsh and a lot of migrant workers brought in from other states of India would collect their daily wage and leave without notice. Because these tokens could not be used outside the estate, the workers were forced to stay back till they exchanged their tokens for real currency at the end of the month.     

For obvious reasons, each estate only accepted tokens issued by that estate.

I have tried to summarize what I know about British India tea garden tokens here:  The Tea Estate Tokens of British India - a brief summary

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,

gollada

Added another Mule with Two Obverse.

1713-19 Farrukhsiyar, Mule Silver Rupee, AH 1130 with Two Obverses. Bothsides "Padshah-i-bahr-o-bar"[i/] couplet. Persian legend: "Sikka zad az fazl-i-Haq bar sim o zar/ Padshah-i-bahr-o-bar Farrukhsiyar 1130" [i/]  [By the grace of the true God, struck on silver and gold, the emperor of land and sea, Farrukhsiyar 1130].

Stuck with two different dies with slight variations in fonts.

Shroff mark on one side, otherwise struck sharp with original toning almost UNC. Extremely Rare.

Also modified the original post to include this coin. 

Coin4.jpg