Author Topic: Bengal Presidency, Mohur, AH1209/RY37, KM# 31,Muhammadabad Banaras.  (Read 2212 times)

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
Bengal Presidency, Mohur, AH1209/RY37 (1794/95), KM# 31, Pridmore # 217, Stevens# 7.22. Mint: Muhammadabad Banaras. In name of Emperor Shah Alam II. Ex.Gardener Collection.
As per Paul Stevens book on coinage of Bengal Presidency only approximately 4000 mohurs were stuck during 1794/95 based on the mint records. This number also included the 1/2 and 1/4 mohurs so the actual mintage will be lower. Dr.Stevens mentions in his new book that mint at Banaras minted very few gold coins compared to the other mints. The mohurs were not in high demand for regular commerce so only limited quantities were stuck based on the demand.   I am thrilled to add this beauty to my collection in this state of preservation. Let me know what you guys think. Also do share info and pics if you have them.

Thanks
Bhushan
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:17:19 PM by PeaceBD »

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
Re: Bengal Presidency, Mohur, AH1209/RY37, KM# 31,Muhammadabad Banaras.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 06:23:28 PM »
A real GEM.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Harry

• Meritorious Member
  • Collect British India, Straits coins & papermoney.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »
Bhushan - A fabulous coin! Its amazing how a few individuals such as F. Pridmore and Dr. Stevens have contribute to our hobby.  Thanks for sharing the information on the mintages, I think you do have a rare one especially in the condition that it is in. 
Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 03:49:50 AM »
A real GEM.

Abhay
Abhay, thanks a lot.

Bhushan - A fabulous coin! Its amazing how a few individuals such as F. Pridmore and Dr. Stevens have contribute to our hobby.  Thanks for sharing the information on the mintages, I think you do have a rare one especially in the condition that it is in. 
Thanks Harry. It is really interesting to read Dr. Stevens notes on production of coins based on metal for each of the mints over various periods. 

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 04:21:53 PM »
My recently-acquired specimen. Not as nice as Bhushan's :P

EIC Bengal Presidency, ino Shah Alam II
AV Mohur, Muhammadabad Banaras

AH 1202 RY-30

I am considering cracking the holder and taking it out. Thoughts?
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 06:11:08 PM »
In the final analysis, it is a question of personal taste.

Pros include being able to hold it, getting rid of the eight sickly white lips obscuring part of the coin, being able to make a decent picture of the coin without all the scratches on the plastic and being able to integrate it in your collection.

Cons include the chance of damaging the coin when cracking the case, losing a protection against fingerprints (not a big issue on gold, though), bumping and dropping and some chance of recovery in case of theft, through the registration number (yes, thieves are often enough THAT stupid.)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 07:07:39 AM »
Resisted the temptation to handle the coin by cracking open the NGC holder  ;D. Leaving it inside the holder--good point about stupid thieves and traceability with the holder.

Offline unnut

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
Here is my specimen, similar though not the same exact type. Mine is KM-35 ( AH 1201/ 17-29). Graded MS 64 by PCGS.

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 11:55:14 PM »
Beautiful specimen unnut! Good to find one with complete readable date and no problems.