Author Topic: Sweden: Ångslupsbolaget Nya Föreningen, unlisted (and baffling) variety  (Read 954 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
ÅBNF ran steamboats on two lines in Stockholm from the mid-1860s. In 1872 they produced an 8 öre token with a steamboat, stamped incuse value, and two thunderclouds with lightning bolts (picture 9986). This is listed in Smith as Sweden 820DW and in Stockholms Polletter as 5.B.23.10.

In 1874 the fare went up to 10 öre and the existing 8-öre tokens were overstamped with a 10. This variety exists with the 10 both the right way up and upside down - see pictures 9987 and 9988. Listed in Smith as Sweden 820DX and SP as 5.B.23.11 (neither makes a distinction in the orientation of the 10).

But then I have whatever 9989 is supposed to be. It looks to me as if an example of 9987 (with the 10 the right way up) has been overstamped further with a much larger 8. So it's started life as 8 öre, been revalued to 10, and then back to 8 again. There is no mention of this in either reference, and I struggle to understand why such a change should have been made.

In 1876 a new issue of similar tokens was made, with 10 stamped between the clouds (not overstamped on anything else). This issue also carried Sporrong's trademark on the back - the earlier tokens are uniface except for the ÅBNF stamp as shown.

All are brass, 29,3 mm, 2,89 g

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
What if that 8 would have been punched by a third party, e.g. to protest the rate increase?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Unofficial DIY tampering hadn't occurred to me, but yes, that is a definite possibility.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
I had noticed the font used for the 8 is of a different style and size.

This is the original font.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.