Author Topic: LIVING democratically elected leaders on coins  (Read 3880 times)

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
LIVING democratically elected leaders on coins
« on: January 25, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »
Usually, when a coin depicts a living person, it is either

1) a monarch (including the Pope, who is legally an absolute monarch)

or

2) a dictator

This thread deal with exceptions: a democratically (or constitutionally) elected leader on coin.

Countries may do that because of conventions of their day to depict rulers on coin, Venice for instance. Or else, the new-born democracy needs to assert itself with the trustworthy image of a charismatic leader.

Please do not include people who came to their position democratically but later assumed absolute power.

1400 Venetian Ducat Michele Steno
Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: LIVING democratically elected leaders on coins
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »
Nelson Mandela, believe it or not. The coin was issued when he was still alive (but no longer president).

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »
Nelson Mandela, believe it or not. The coin was issued when he was still alive (but no longer president).
Peter

I heard that African National Congress have recently assumed a manner similar to many one-party states, but Mandela may not have much connections to this new development, and at least for now South African remains a democracy. So, pass.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 05:52:01 PM »
I'm sure there are pseudo-coins from Niue etc. out there with living US presidents on them.

Paul Kruger features on the coins of the Zuid Afrikaansche Republiek, of which he was president. But I don't know whether he owed his position to anything we might conceivably describe as democracy (even by the standards of the time - e.g. universal male white suffrage).

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »
Not only was he duly elected (yes, caucasians only), the coins were part of his re-election campaign.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:36:24 PM »

Paul Kruger, 1 penny, ZAR, 1898
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:52:42 PM by Niels »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 11:17:31 PM »
None of these are living, of course. I presume you mean they were living at the time of the coin's issue. Hard to fit all that in a topic title, though.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 09:23:15 AM »
I'm sure I've seen on here a coin depicting Vladimir Putin and another leader, but I forget which country issued it so can't search for it.

Whether Putin meets the criterion of being democratically elected is open for discussion. He is, however, undoubtedly both alive and currently in office.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »
Does it make sense in this context to include all cases where some elected "leader" is on some (other) country's coins? Mr Obama for example is on a Liberian $5 thing dated 2010 ...  Speaking of Liberia though, the current president Ellen Johnson Sirleaf was depicted on a $10 silver and $100 gold coin issued in 2006.

Another coin that comes to mind is the South Korean 100 hwan dated 4292/1959: Syngman Rhee was still president at that time. More or less democratically elected, I think, but that changed later. So by the time the piece was issued, he could be considered to be a dictatorial ruler ...

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 08:48:22 PM »
I'm sure I've seen on here a coin depicting Vladimir Putin and another leader, but I forget which country issued it so can't search for it.

Whether Putin meets the criterion of being democratically elected is open for discussion. He is, however, undoubtedly both alive and currently in office.

DPRK, 1 won, 2000.  The original post is here.

As for democracy, there are different degrees of it in different countries, so it's impossible to define in absolute terms.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »
In the mid 1970s I read some article about modern South Africa, and I was stunned to see it described as a democracy - albeit a limited democracy. I had thought that the apartheid regime must be a dictatorship. Of course, my own country, the UK, had initially disenfranchised people who did not own property, and women. South Africa (before Mandela) excluded black people and so called "coloureds" (people of mixed race) from voting and from power. However, that did not make it a dictatorship, even though it was far from meeting modern standards of democracy.

South Africa, 1 rand, 1990.  P W Botha.