Author Topic: BE 2014: Beginning of WW1, Belgian Red Cross  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
BE 2014: Beginning of WW1, Belgian Red Cross
« on: January 24, 2014, 07:34:01 AM »
Belgium might issue a commemorative €2 coin in September marking 100 years of beginning of world war I. Further details are awaited.

Aditya
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:38:02 AM by Bimat »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: BE 2014: 100 Years of Beginning of World War I
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:25:08 AM »
The coin is likely to be issued in late April/early May. Mintage 1.75 million - the design has not been published yet.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: BE 2014: Beginning of WW1, Belgian Red Cross
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:32:11 AM »
There are rumors that later this year (Sep/Oct) Belgium may issue a second €2 commem. That piece would be dedicated to the 150th anniversary of the Belgian Red Cross. Over at munthunter.nl there are speculations about the issue, and about the mintage - maybe 250,000 only. ::)

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »
This is the design of the "WW1" coin. Apparently a great war (at least that is what they still call it), but the design ... not so great in my opinion. The reference to In Flanders Fields is obvious; while the dates "2014-18" make sense, I find this to be a little spooky. Oh well.

Edit - What is difficult to see in the design picture is that the trailing "20" has a different texture (see the small image). Thus it is not as bad as I first thought. The coin came out on 7 May; apart from the circulation version there is also an FDC/BU folder (6,000 pcs, €10) and a prooflike piece in a box (6,000 pcs, €20).

Christian
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:02:43 PM by chrisild »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:13:46 AM »
And this is the design of the "Belgian Red Cross" coin. Details to be posted later. :)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »
Plenty of crazy people standing outside the central bank to get the new Belgian commemorative. ;)

http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/108790-uren-aanschuiven-voor-2-euro

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 11:21:08 PM »
Plenty of crazy people standing outside the central bank to get the new Belgian commemorative. ;)

... and to make a quick profit selling the pieces from these rolls. From what I have read, there were long lines at many other NBB branch offices. Disgustingly low mintage; seems this is a coin that I do not need to have. ::)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »
Oh, my! ::) Just saw a couple of listings on eBay for the roll (25 coins) of new issue...Asking over €300 for it! :o

Aditya

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
I've just seen this coin for the first time, it has got to be one of the worst designs EVER!!! Can anyone find a design that is actually more boring? I'll give someone three happy wishes (you get to wish, wish doesn't necessarily come true) if you can.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 11:57:02 PM »
it has got to be one of the worst designs EVER!!! Can anyone find a design that is actually more boring?

From a previous post of yours: "I know I moan about the designs a lot". >:D

Assuming you mean the Red Cross design - it sure is not exactly innovative, but it gets the message across. What do you see? A big cross. Voilà, job done ...

Christian

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 07:49:08 AM »
Yeah, but they could do something with it, rather than just go for the lowest common denominator. Surely the mint/govt should be aiming a little higher than "it does what it says on the tin" sort of rubbish.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
Cannot say that I like the design, and elsewhere I wrote that I am not really interested in the piece. Design wise, oh well. :) Still better than pieces with lots of text or "heroic poses". What I object to is the "mintage policy": Only 250,000 pieces were issued, and about one tenth only in rolls. Because the Belgian Red Cross will get part of the revenue, most come in those coincards (plus 5,000 in proof boxes). Does not have much to do with the concept of circulating commems. Contrary to San Marino and the like, Belgium is a member state; if they now start issuing coins (other than collector coins) this way, I will simply stop collecting such pieces.

Christian

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 12:25:12 PM »
It seems mints are picking up on free publicity. You make a coin with low mintage, tell everyone there is low mintage, everyone scrambles to get them, prices on ebay go sky high, wham, there's your free publicity. Also, if you keep a few back you can make an absolute killing selling them on too.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 07:10:05 PM »
The Belgian Mint sure did a lot to turn the Red Cross piece into something "attractive". Low mintage, plus the two different orientations of the coin cards (French side up vs Dutch side up), plus the odd edge inscriptions that our member eurocoin mentioned in this topic. The question is whether this will make the issue more attractive, or whether collectors will say, nah, with such mintages I do not care any more. Time will tell. :)

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »
It's not the supply that counts, but the demand. It is not difficult to find coins with a mintage of 200 000 or less that are nevertheless relatively cheap. Look at Seychelles mintage figures for example. That means that if there is diminishing interest in this type of coins, they have the capacity to become cheap. However, coin prices tend to be sticky downward: they recover very slowly from overpricing.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.