Author Topic: Literature on Russian wire kopeks  (Read 1348 times)

Offline GC

Literature on Russian wire kopeks
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:57:08 PM »
Hello guys!

I wonder if anyone of you knows a book on Russian wire kopeks.
I don't have knowledge of Russian coins yet but I want to gain some experience with them and hope one of you can help me.

Regards,
GC

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Literature on Russian wire kopeks
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »
Try this site, recommended in our collection of links. Beware of spammy ads that refuse to disappear.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline canadacoin

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 05:06:58 AM »
Hello guys!

I wonder if anyone of you knows a book on Russian wire kopeks.
I don't have knowledge of Russian coins yet but I want to gain some experience with them and hope one of you can help me.

Regards,
GC

There are several literature sources on this topic, one of the best ones is "Russian coins from Ivan Grozny to Peter the Great 1533 - 1682". A.Melnikova, Moscow 1989", but this book is in Russian. Excellent book, more than 300 pages.

Offline GC

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »
Thanks for your help, Figleaf and canadacoin!

@canadacoin:
Do you know whether there are "self-explaining" pictures in the book you've mentioned? I just ask because I can't speak Russian (yet).

Regards,
GC
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:09:03 AM by GC »

Offline canadacoin

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 12:37:01 PM »
This book provides detailed overview of the historical development, for example financial reforms, Swedish occupation, creation and closure of mints, various denominations etc (approximately 200 pages, Russian language).
The rest are pictures, illustrations and detailed drawings. Exhibits and tables are easy to work with but some navigational knowledge is required.
Once of the most useful exhibits is a set of 18 tables that provides reverse to obverse relationship by the mint house, date range. Each table represents ruler or a significant period.
Providing few screenshots, to fit into 65 KB file size limit, I had to truncate some pages/table, but this will provide you overview.
I have this book, drop me a note if you interesting.

Offline Miner

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 03:30:19 PM »
Books Author: Grishin I.V, Kleschinov V.N. in Russian and English:
Catalogue of Russian medieval coins from the reign of Tsar Ivan IV Vasilyevich to the Swedish occupation of Novgorod (1533-1617)
Catalogue of Russian medieval coins during the reign of Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich (1613-1645 years)
Catalogue of Russian medieval coins during the reign of the kings of Alexei Mikhailovich, Fedor, Ivan and Peter Alexeyevich (1645-1696 years)
Catalogue of Russian medieval coins time sole reign of King Peter I (1696-1717 gg.)

Offline GC

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
@canadacoin:
You've got a message from me.

@Miner:
Thanks for your recommendations, these books seem to be very good too.

Regards,
GC