News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Tanjore Kasu

Started by Rangnath, December 13, 2008, 01:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

In making the assumption that this small coin, 2.9 grams and 14 x 11 mm, was minted by the Nayakas of Tanjore, I am doing so by process of elimination. I decided that since it doesn't have a lingum, it can't be from Sivaganga. Since it doesn't have abstract Kannada script, it isn't from Madurai and probably not from Tennevelly either.  And since the coin has a deity on both sides, at least I think it does, then it might be from Tanjore. 
If I used similar logic to determine if a wild mushroom was edible or not, I would have perished many years ago.
richie

Overlord

Yes Richie, this is a kasu of the Thanjavur Nayaks.

Ganesh#6.42 (3.1 g, 13 mm)
Obverse Rajagopalaswamy standing
Reverse King (Vijayaraghava Nayak) standing with folded hands facing.

Ref.: The coins of Tamilnadu by K. Ganesh

Rangnath

You are a Cosmic Treasure Overlord!
1. Are the images in K Ganesh's book clear and easy to discern?
2. Was this coin minted during the reign of Vijaya Raghava (1631-1675 A.D.)? It seems self evident, but I thought I'd ask.  I suppose it could have been minted by this father?
richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on January 24, 2009, 08:13:21 PM
1. Are the images in K Ganesh's book clear and easy to discern?
The B/W photographs are much better than the ones in my Sultanate catalog and details can be seen clearly on most coins.

Quote from: Rangnath on January 24, 2009, 08:13:21 PM
2. Was this coin minted during the reign of Vijaya Raghava (1631-1675 A.D.)?
Strangely, though the catalog identifies the standiung figure as Vijayaraghava Nayak, the coin is listed under "Anonymous coins".

Rangnath

I suppose that if similar coins, even if the figure is identifiable, were minted during the reigns of subsequent Tanjore rulers, each coin would be "anonymous".
richie