Author Topic: INDO-GREEK: Antimachos II, AR drachm, Pushkalavati, Mitch-1673.  (Read 2508 times)

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
INDO-GREEK: Antimachos II, AR drachm, Pushkalavati, Mitch-1673.
« on: January 17, 2014, 12:20:48 AM »
INDO-GREEK: Antimachos II , 171-160 BC, AR drachm (2.39g), Pushkalavati, Mitch-1673, winged Nike left holding wreath in right hand, Greek legend around: BAΣIΛEΩΣ NIKHΦOPOY ANTIMAXOY  / king mounted on galloping horse right, Kharoshthi legend around: Maharajasa jayadharasa Amtimakhasa .

The coin in nicely centered and shows full legend which is normally off the flan on this type. Overall the details on the King,horse and Nike are some of the best I have seen as most of these coins show very poor details. Let me know what you guys think and share pictures if you have one.

Thanks
Bhushan
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:01:06 AM by PeaceBD »

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Re: INDO-GREEK: Antimachos II, AR drachm, Pushkalavati, Mitch-1673.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:59:34 AM »
Superb specimen.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
Even the hat is the same :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:40:22 AM »
A previous discussion on the same type of coin was here.

Your specimen is nicer than the one i showed previously. Also there is a slight difference in that your horse is portrayed much more on its hindlegs, causing the legend to be interupted at the top.
Even in your very good specimen there is a slight porosity visible in the surface. This seems typical for this ruler. I have yet to see a coin with perfectly smooth surfaces.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:55:48 AM »
Porosity is relative. Bushan uses a technique that highlights even the slightest detail on the coins, which allows analysis in depth of the striking technique. On a coin of this period and quality, a degree of smoothness would be suspicious. Polishing dies hadn't been invented yet. If the coin had been more worn, I would expect a degree of smoothness, though.

I can think of two scenarios for the porosity you mention:
- coin is cast. Air gets trapped when metal is poured into the mould.
- coin is hot struck. Re-heating the metal has caused formation of air bubbles in the flan, coming to the surface as the coin is struck.

The coin looks struck, but that can be deceptive on a picture. In the second scenario, the silver contained some impurities that burnt when the flan was re-heated. Since refining silver with mercury had not been invented yet, impurities in the metal are quite believable, even after (re)melting.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »
@Peter; I think you are right about the minting technique and metal composition in this respect.
It's just something which stands out in this ruler.
For example many Menander drachms may have baby bottom smooth struck surfaces while you can still see the slight flow lines, so it is not because of wear. In contrast, even in hight quality Antimachos drachms you are unlikely to find smooth surfaces.

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
Superb specimen.
Mitresh, thanks a lot.

Even the hat is the same :)

Peter
Very true. I have one of these in my world coin collection. :)

A previous discussion on the same type of coin was here.

Your specimen is nicer than the one i showed previously. Also there is a slight difference in that your horse is portrayed much more on its hindlegs, causing the legend to be interupted at the top.
Even in your very good specimen there is a slight porosity visible in the surface. This seems typical for this ruler. I have yet to see a coin with perfectly smooth surfaces.
Thanks a lot. I think what looks like slight porosity in the picture is actually some weird compression artifacts in the picture which gives the coin's surface this look. It has been happening randomly on my pictures since I got a new laptop and latest PS CC. I am still trying to figure out if its my post processing technique or it's Flickr which introduces these artifacts as I post a 800 px image here instead of a 1200 px.
 In hand the coin displays nice even surfaces and we can actually see a die crack above Nike's head between B & A. I am attaching a picture from the dealer for better comparison.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 06:01:52 PM »
I still observe a bit "peau d'orange" at the back of the horse and the letters around between 6 and 9 o'clock, but indeed the last picture is a lot smoother. Just illustrates how difficult it is to judge a coin by a picture. Thanks for showing the comparison !
(And good to know that even you can experience photographic difficulties  ;))

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 07:30:59 PM »
I still observe a bit "peau d'orange" at the back of the horse and the letters around between 6 and 9 o'clock, but indeed the last picture is a lot smoother. Just illustrates how difficult it is to judge a coin by a picture. Thanks for showing the comparison !
(And good to know that even you can experience photographic difficulties  ;))
Anthony, I have photographic difficulties all the time since I have learned photography as well as post processing on my own with out any formal training.  With post processing it becomes hard to keep up with all the changes in softwares, operating systems etc  >:(