Kushan Empire. Vasudeva I (ca. AD 192-225). AV dinar. MK509.

Started by PeaceBD, January 16, 2014, 03:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeaceBD

Kushan Empire. Vasudeva I (ca. AD 192-225). AV dinar (20mm, 7.92 gm, 12h). Vasudeva standing facing, head left, flames on shoulder, sacrificing over altar and holding trident .Bactrian legend around: þAONANOþAO BA .. ZOΔηO KOþN (King of Kings Bazodeo Kushan).  Ithyphallic Shiva standing facing, holding trident and diadem; behind, the bull Nandi standing left; tamgha to upper left. Bactrian legend left: OηþO ( Oesho/ Shiva). MK 509.
I just love how centrally the coin is stuck. The coin in hand looks virtually as stuck but I believe the coin was stuck with worn dies as has been noted with these coins giving them an appearance of being circulated. The second pic is from the dealer.
Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Bhushan

cmerc

Very nice Bhushan!  Please see this tread for some other sub-types of this coin posted by Mitresh, me, and others.  A major difference lies in the positioning of OPHO.

Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

THCoins

Interesting to see these below each other. It is not only the position of Oesho which is different but also the spelling differs.

Figleaf

I like your picture better than that of the seller, Bushan. Apart from the more natural colour, it brings out the detail better, e.g. look at the Kushan's hat and the detail on the altar. The fine pressure lines on this coin tell me that this coin is on the very border of the technological ability of the Kushans and that the dies were indeed worn. They put all their knowledge into making a superb coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

PeaceBD

Quote from: cmerc on January 16, 2014, 06:22:44 AM
Very nice Bhushan!  Please see this tread for some other sub-types of this coin posted by Mitresh, me, and others.  A major difference lies in the positioning of OPHO.

Avik, thanks a lot. Interesting thread and thanks for posting the pics which makes it very easy to compare the varieties. I hope to find a Vasudeva Dinar similar to yours with OPHO in front of the Nandi and also one with the Nandi facing right. I believe finding the second one is going to be tough. :(

Quote from: THCoins on January 16, 2014, 09:55:40 AM
Interesting to see these below each other. It is not only the position of Oesho which is different but also the spelling differs.
I had not observed it till you pointed it out. Thanks.

Quote from: Figleaf on January 16, 2014, 01:34:07 PM
I like your picture better than that of the seller, Bushan. Apart from the more natural colour, it brings out the detail better, e.g. look at the Kushan's hat and the detail on the altar. The fine pressure lines on this coin tell me that this coin is on the very border of the technological ability of the Kushans and that the dies were indeed worn. They put all their knowledge into making a superb coin.

Peter

Peter, thanks a lot for your encouragement and I am glad you like my picture better. Some very good observations you have there. The beauty of these Kushan coins especially those for Kanishka & Huvishka can be breathtaking IMO. Here is an example of Huvishka's Dinar which sold recently and has been giving me sleepless nights. :(

mitresh

Very nice coin, Bhushan. Agree with Peter you have a viable alternate career as a photographer as your picture of the coin is way way better in quality than the seller provided image.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

cmerc

Modified the original post a little bit to make the image sizes the same.  Looks much better this way :)
This is starting to become a nice thread on Vasu Deva's Oesho-type gold staters.
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

PeaceBD

Quote from: mitresh on January 16, 2014, 08:36:49 PM
Very nice coin, Bhushan. Agree with Peter you have a viable alternate career as a photographer as your picture of the coin is way way better in quality than the seller provided image.
Thanks Mitresh. I hope I never have to make photography as my profession.  ;) That would take away all the fun from it.