Author Topic: Parthian AR Tetradrachm  (Read 804 times)

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
Parthian AR Tetradrachm
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:18:12 AM »
Greetings,

I have recently been asked for help with identifying this coin. Other coins in the group were tetradrachms of Parthian rulers spanning from Phraataces to Vologases IV.

I do not know the weight, but the diameter is roughly 25 mm. I am assuming the weight to be roughly 12 to 15 grams.

What throws me off is the inscription on the obverse (which I cannot read) and the missing date on the reverse, which is usually clear in Greek numerals. Additionally, the reverse *appears* to only have Nike flying left, but I suspect that there's a faint, flatstruck and worn emperor sitting on a throne towards the right, just to the left of Nike. However, even if there is a king on the coin, I cannot find a type with a king enthroned right receiving a wreath from a flying Nike. Nor can I find a type with a lone Nike flying left holding a wreath!

So you can understand my confusion with this. It seems plain enough but it doesn't let itself identify easily!
Any help will be much appreciated by both of us.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Parthian AR Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »
Design of the reverse fits best with Gotarzes II, portrait fits less. Year letters, which look like CIA above head of Nike, make no sense i think. Also, if this coin was original to start with, it looks like it has been terribly tooled. So i doubt if you will find a perfect fit in attribution.
(The flying Nike usually is portrayed a bit smaller. This i think is a standing Nike)

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »
Yea I think the CIA may be sigma-iota-lambda of (BA)CIL(EOS) but I am not sure.

Tooling is definitely a good possibility as to why I can't find a proper match!

The more I search, the more I am convinced that there is no Parthian tetradrachm with a nike-flying-left reverse.

If there's a faint, worn and flatstruck emperor enthroned right, do you have a guess as to what he's receiving from Nike? A wreath? A diadem?

Thanks for taking a look.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »
The more I search, the more I am convinced that there is no Parthian tetradrachm with a nike-flying-left reverse.

Maybe not, but it may originally be a Tyche standing left with wreath ?
like on this page: http://www.parthia.com/gotarzes2.htm

Nike you will find more frequently with the indo_parthians. But the lay-out of the legend then usually is different.

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:46:04 PM »
Tyche is a good suggestion. After your mention of tooling I had the idea that perhaps the wing could once have been Tyche's cornucopia. The fact that we both had this thought independently of each other seems to strengthen the hypothesis.