Author Topic: italy comm. 2 euro 2008  (Read 3497 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: italy comm. 2 euro 2008
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 06:11:28 PM »
Such "abstract" themes are usually difficult for coins. How can a designer visualize human rights or the anniversary of a constitution? I still think that, of the four 2 coins issued to commemorate the Declaration of Human Rights, this one is the best design. Portugal is interesting (the 30 sheets below the country name are supposed to represent the 30 articles of the Declaration) but not as good ...

As for the Wikipedia list, well, there are a few minor mistakes. For example, the date of issue of the Italian "Human Rights" coin was 10 December (which was actually the 60th anniversary of the declaration). Now how many pieces were minted, I still trust the government bulletin more :) which talks about "un contingente in valore nominale di Euro 5.000.000, pari a 2.500.000 pezzi". That is, a total face value of 5,000,000 equalling 2,500,000 pieces.

And by the way, I don't think that the German 2 "Lower Saxony" coin will show St. Andrew's in Hildesheim. This was just a temporary error in the Bundesbank's list http://www.bundesbank.de/download/bargeld/pdf/praegeinfo_muenzen2euro.pdf which was fixed about a year ago.

Right, the list of 2 commems issued so far is quite comprehensive. May not be that bad after all that the number of issues (apart from special common issues) is limited to one per country and year. And if you focus on the European Union member states (leaving Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican out), such a collection is still affordable ...

Christian
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 06:17:43 PM by chrisild »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 08:06:34 AM »

Right, the list of 2 commems issued so far is quite comprehensive. May not be that bad after all that the number of issues (apart from special common issues) is limited to one per country and year. And if you focus on the European Union member states (leaving Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican out), such a collection is still affordable ...

Christian
Anyhow,I am not at all looking for the Euro coins of Vatican,Monaco and San Marino.There are 2 reasons-They are not at all available here (Except a few 1 and 2 Euro fakes,but how worth it is to strike a bimetallic fake? ???), and the other is that they are not a part of European Union.
I am even not collecting EuroCent coins as such-my main focus is on 1 and 2 Euro coins-both general and commemorative issues.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »
The most expensive 2 commem that I know of is Monaco's "Grace" coin. Roughly 600 to 700 euro the days ... for one piece. That's just crazy in my opinion. So yes, it makes a lot of sense to basically ignore such issues.

As for the cent coins, well, of course I collect them. ;) By design, that is, not by year. But if I did not live here, I would probably not be that interested in them either ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 05:57:11 PM »

As for the cent coins, well, of course I collect them. ;) By design, that is, not by year. But if I did not live here, I would probably not be that interested in them either ...

Christian
Strictly speaking,I do not have enough patience to collect even the 1 and 2 Euro coins by year 8),but I do collect them by type (mint mark etc).I can't even think of collecting EuroCents by year (or even by type)-really a tedious job :-[ The most difficult Euro coins to get for me are the German Euro coins..5 different mint marks-But I am quite sure that I will complete my German Euro collection some day :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.