Author Topic: Pretty coin from Argentina  (Read 3566 times)

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
Pretty coin from Argentina
« on: August 23, 2008, 03:53:44 AM »
This coin is a 1985 50 Centavos and is 23 mm. What is this coin composed of?
Ginger

BC Numismatics

Pretty coin from Argentina.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 04:55:18 AM »
Ginger,
  This Argentinian coin is made of nickel-brass.The letter 'A' with 2 horizontal lines above the denomination is the defunct currency sign of the Austral,which temporarily replaced the Argentinian Peso during the late 1980's.

Here's a link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_austral .

Aidan.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
Re: Pretty coin from Argentina
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 03:15:50 PM »
Hello! It is not nickel brass, but aluminium brass (Cu-Al)!

Afrasi

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:25:36 PM »
The "standard" alloy used in those days is 92% copper, 8% aluminium. This is not brass, since brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, but it produces the same pale yellow colour. Therefore, both Wikipedia* and KM got it wrong. However, I suspect that KM calls any yellow alloy based on copper brass.

Peter

* now corrected ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:59:44 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:37:42 PM »
Here's a difficult question. What does the lady personify:

a) Argentina, of course.

b) No way! Phrygian hat so that's liberty

c) Nah, that's freedom from colonialists, otherwise known as independence.

(I know the answer, but I'm not telling - yet)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 09:47:42 PM »
The portrait - I will guess is Liberty as on 1880's coins of Argentina you can see "LIBERTAD" above this portrait.

92% copper, 8% aluminium - I agree. Afrasi likely got the more accurate info from the German language world coin catalogue. The name he gave for the alloy was likely just an imperfect translation. The name in English is "Aluminium-Bronze". It is a slightly different yellow to Brass or to Nickel-Brass.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 10:17:11 PM »
Here is more than you ever wanted to know about this alloy. Frankly, aluminium bronze strikes me as a misnomer, since bronze may already be an alloy of copper and aluminium (see Wiki)

Peter

BC Numismatics

Pretty coin from Argentina.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 10:24:51 PM »
The obverse design is intended to be like the Argie equivilant of the French Marianne,which symbolises the republican system,& the idea of independence & a very strong national identity.

Aidan.

translateltd

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 10:55:59 PM »
Here is more than you ever wanted to know about this alloy. Frankly, aluminium bronze strikes me as a misnomer, since bronze may already be an alloy of copper and aluminium (see Wiki)

Peter

I think the point is that the type of "bronze" is further identified by the addition of the word aluminium.  While it may technically be a misnomer, it's the standard misnomer ...

Martin
NZ

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 11:23:04 PM »
Here is another question:As most of you know I collect Roman coins and many of these are bronze as well. So it must be the addition of aluminum to make them look this way. Although I wonder what a freshly minted bronze roman coin looked like.
Ginger

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 11:56:41 PM »
Aluminium is very difficult to isolate. Roman bronzes are more likely to be an alloy of copper and tin, since tin can be found naturally. It's hard to imagine what a freshly minted Roman coin would look like, since that would depend on how the dies were prepared. Anything from chocolate to shiny is possible. Maybe Steve knows more?

I have also seen brassy roman coins. This is intriguing, as brass is a copper-zinc alloy and zinc was not generally known in Roman times. Therefore, either brass was found naturally, or it came about during smelting. Wiki says:

"In the German village of Breinigerberg, an ancient Roman settlement was discovered where a calamine ore mine existed. During the melting process, the zinc is extracted from the calamine and mixes with the copper."

Peter

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 01:12:00 AM »
Peter,
Steve or Brett would be the ones who might know. They must have had a good working knowledge of metals though, as there are some beautiful coins out there and some not beautiful coins out there. The existence of a mine certainly would have been a benefit.
Ginger