Solomon Islands: What's XION?

Started by Harald, January 07, 2014, 08:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harald

SB_2c_XION.JPG

hello

the 2 Cents coin of 2006 displays a mysterious sign on the obverse (below the Queen's portrait).

According to the Central Bank it should be read as "X I O N", but they do not offer any explanation.

Not even Google comes up with anything sensible.

Any ideas?

cheers
--
Harald
http://www.liganda.ch (monetary history & numismatic linguistics)

Mister T

Quote from: Harald on January 07, 2014, 08:50:40 PM
the 2 Cents coin of 2006 displays a mysterious sign on the obverse (below the Queen's portrait). according to the Central Bank it should be read as "X I O N", but they do not offer any explanation.

Whereabouts on their site does it say this?

Figleaf

XION.jpg

SV.jpg

Between date and legend. I think it is likely to be designer's initials.

Note also the initials VS or SV on the reverse.

Not all coins of this type have the initials.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Mister T

Quote from: Figleaf on March 28, 2015, 11:50:31 AM
Between date and legend. I think it is likely to be designer's initials. Note also the initials VS or SV on the reverse. Not all coins of this type have the initials.

I don't think it's the designer's initials. David Thomas was the designer I think. Mintmark maybe?
Anyway, I was looking for a link to on the Central Bank's site with the information about this coin.

<k>

I asked the opinion of a Kiwi friend:

"No idea about the symbols, but from the quality of the effigy and the lettering it looks like a Chinese forgery! You know that a couple of NZ dealers cleaned out the Solomons' national bank's stocks of 1 and 2c coins a few years ago to supply to German wholesalers - maybe SI could only afford replacements from China.

I just checked in Schön's 21st century catalogue, and the 2006 issue is listed separately as "with additional symbols Xion and SV" - and only on the 2c, as far as I can see.  No further explanation, so all highly mysterious.  I notice also that Schön says the effigy is "nach Raphael Maklouf" (i.e. based on his design, not by him, so that might explain the different quality)."

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Mister T

It certainly does look like a counterfeit, though the 2008 and 2010 coins of the Solomon Islands seem to be the product of cost-cutting too (recut low profile portraits).
Does the catalogue you referred to list the mints of issue for any Solomon Islands coins by any chance?

<k>

Quote from: Mister T on March 29, 2015, 03:50:52 AM
Does the catalogue you referred to list the mints of issue for any Solomon Islands coins by any chance?

The circulation coins up to 1987 are listed as Royal Mint and/or Franklin Mint, but these afterwards do not list a mint.

Mister T

Ah thanks. Is it up and including 1987 that it's the Royal Mint, Llantrisant?

<k>

From 1987 (inclusive) and onwards (i.e. the Maklouf portrait circulation coins), mints are not listed. Prior to that, for the Machin portrait circulation coins, the dates vary - the latest for the RM is 1985 (5 cents) but the 2 cents is listed only for 1977, while the latest for FM (all denominations) is 1985. It is clear some coins for some years were minted at both places. For more, you'll have to see Gerhard's Katalog, which is well worth price, as he gives mints where he knows them.

eurocoin

Central Bank of the Solomon Islands informed me that the 2 cents coins dated 2006 are counterfeits. The last order that they placed for the 2 cents coin was in 2005 (British Royal Mint). The symbols have nothing to do with the Solomon Islands and they also had no idea about their meaning. Later this week a notice will be published on their  website to warn the public for this coin. Although it isn't that important anymore as the 2 cents coin has already been demonetised in the meantime (although they still occasionally circulate). In my opinion this coin should be taken out of the catalog.

Mister T

Amazing - why would you fake such a low value coin? And in such seemingly large numbers too.
Did you just use the contact email from http://www.cbsi.com.sb/index.php?id=19 to get that information?

eurocoin

Mister T

Did this information ever get put on the website? I had a look but I couldn't see it anywhere obvious.

eurocoin

Quote from: Mister T on July 18, 2015, 03:02:18 AM
Did this information ever get put on the website? I had a look but I couldn't see it anywhere obvious.

No, it didn't. I suppose that they probably forgot about it.