Author Topic: Eastern Sogdiana: Anonymous Obol, 4th-5th Century  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Finn235

Re: Eastern Sogdiana: Anonymous Obol, 4th-5th Century
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 04:52:17 PM »
Nice coins! I got about five in a job lot a year-ish ago. They're all in a 2x2 together so I'll have to spring them out for a pic sometime.

These are usually described as copies of "an Antiochus coin" although I could never figure out which Antiochus issued a coin with this motif. This coin does seem to confirm that theory, at least:

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=65250

(Not mine, though I wish it were!)

This does pose the question: how could a ~5th centry coin be based on a ~2nd century BC prototype? I've been of the opinion that these are probably much earlier, maybe 1st or 2nd century AD.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Eastern Sogdiana: Anonymous Obol, 4th-5th Century
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 09:04:44 PM »
Intriguing questions. No idea who first described as an Antiochan imitation.

I could imagine how coins could survive 300 years: through temple offerings. Sogdiana was a bit rustic. Neither the Persians nor the Macedonians could count on Bactrian loyalty. Such an economy does not need much cash, except for temple offerings. Enter Buddhism and suddenly centuries old Hellenistic temple treasure become available for circulation. When it's all in circulation and the economy keeps growing and refining, people want more coins and the know what coins ought to look like...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.