Author Topic: Comments & Suggestions for the Ancient & Medieval Coins of Christendom Index  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
All,

Please post your comments (positive & negative) and any suggestions on improving the Index here.  I will take them into consideration.  My top priority right now is to index all the coins on this board, but it might take some time as references are sometimes hard to come by...

Cheers,

Ram
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
No comments, just a big compliment. I like the way the index is taking shape, especially when considering that this is not at all an easy era to give an overview of. Remember that progress is more important than finishing the job. This needs to remain a fun project.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
As things are progressing slowly, I figured I should give an update on the current work.  Several countries have now been added including Georgia, Poland, and Cyprus since the last time I updated the index.  You might also notice that I just started added references.  This is to serve two purposes:

• I am a strong believer of giving credit to where credit is due.  Information does not come out of the thin air and hence it is important to provide literary references.
  • And provide our visitors links to free (and legitimate) numismatic books on the individual topics.  Some of these books are somewhat difficult to find via just Google.

I envision these indices to be more than just linkages back to the topics.  Hopefully, when I have more free time, I'll embellish them even more and add the rest of the countries that are represented in WoC (next on the list are Bohemia and Serbia)...

Thanks,

Ram

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Great work !
(And I know how much time it takes.  :) )

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Thanks Anthony!  Love your indices as well.  The captions on each topics are outstanding.  Probably will plagiarize that idea  ;) ;D

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Just added the English Kingdoms, but how far do you think I should go?  I made a logical stop at the Plantagenet Kings with a final reign of 1399.  I can go a bit further by adding the House of Lancaster, but anything further will not be medieval and hence will overlap with another board.  Let me know.  The next sections are France, Germany and Italy.  These are LARGE sections and will take a considerable time. 

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I think 1491 is a good point to end the middle ages in Britain. The coins change in character with Henry VIII and his religious reforms clearly set him apart from the middle ages.

Medieval France is well covered by freely available online catalogues. Italy much less so and the German middle ages may be the world's largest numismatic swamp. Then again, we don't have that many medieval German coins yet. How about a modest set-up with only the states covered where there are coins to report and expanding it slowly in time? If you like this approach, you can use it for Italy also...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Those are all excellent suggestions and I agree with you in regards to Germany.  It is extremely complicated!  I'll list only the ones that are currently covered and move up from there as we add more coins...

Thanks,

Ram

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
The Byzantine Index is going through a reboot!  I am planning on adding a full catalog of Byzantine coinage with links to various threads from WoC member on each individual coin.  It will take some time, but I figured I should start with coins from emperors who issued far fewer coins than some of the more popular emperors. 

Any questions or comments, do let me know...

Ram
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:06:41 PM by Quant.Geek »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
No comments, just a thumbs up !
Saw your work in progress, looks great !!

Anthony

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Thanks Anthony!  It is always a challenge to post something that is aesthetic using BBCode.  Tables seems to have done the trick.  The legends are another issue, but I am working on that with Peter.  Stay tuned...