Author Topic: Lithuania is next  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Lithuania is next
« on: January 02, 2014, 04:50:02 PM »
Even the resolutely right of the right newspaper "Wall Street Journal" seems to start believing that the euro zone will again grow on 1st January 2015. Its interview with the head of the Lithuanian central bank does not include references to the imminent demise of the euro and even has some figures (rather than opinions) quoted by the interviewee on the positive effect of the introduction of the common currency.

Meanwhile, I won another bottle of Champagne, this time for betting that the ECB would still be around in the five years that have now run their course. Funnily, my reminder mail to the loser has remained without an answer. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: Lithuania is next
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
Darn paywall ... Interestingly, the Lithuanian central bank already lists the euro collector coins that it plans to issue in 2015. See here (bottom of the page). That would be one 5 coin (CuAlZnSn), another one in silver (?), four 20 silver issues, and one 50 gold piece.

Well, the decision won't be made until mid-2014. By the way, Lithuania is the only country among the three Baltic nations that has its own mint. So the question of where any future Lithuanian euro and cent coins might be produced already has its answer. Hope you still get your champagne. ;)

Christian

Offline canadacoin

Re: Lithuania is next
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
Here is today's press release from Lithuania government (in English)
Although no timelines listed, on another Internet resoure I saw reference (in Russian) that they aim for the Jauary 1st 2015 with Euro introduction

http://www.lrv.lt/en/news/top-stories/?nid=452