Poll

Which articles posted in 2014 should be included on the Best of WoC board?

Animals on Indian coins
10 (12.5%)
Swastika on coins of Nepal, Tibet and Bhutan
11 (13.8%)
2 anna 1910 Bombay mint
10 (12.5%)
Varieties of Latvia KM 1, 2 and 3
9 (11.3%)
Discovery series of medals of Italian poets by Domenico Ambrogi
9 (11.3%)
Explanation of Symbols on Coins of Bikaner Maharaja's
9 (11.3%)
Romanian fascists left brief traces on the coinage
11 (13.8%)
The Coinage of the Irish Free State
11 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: December 31, 2014, 11:59:59 PM

Author Topic: Voting 2014  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Voting 2014
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »
The most important guidelines and rules in short:
  • Any article can be nominated by any member
  • All members have five votes
  • Vote with your head, not with your heart. The only thing that counts is quality
  • The threshold in 2014 is 12 votes (0.5% of the membership)
  • Plagiarism disqualifies.
For more words, look at the other sticky on this board here

Peter
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 11:49:08 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Voting 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:03:43 PM »
Time is running out! Before starting the Christmas thing, think about casting your vote. It's the least you can do for the authors of the articles nominated. All are outstanding quality, but it takes 12 votes to win an award this year. You have five votes and it takes a minimum of 84 votes for all of them to win an award. That's a minimum of only 17 members. We should be able to do that.

Don't fall for any lobbying. Don't vote for the nationality of the author or for the nationality of the coins treated. Hardest of all, don't let personal relations count and don't tell others how you voted You can discuss articles here if you wish, but please, be constructive. Vote for quality, creativity and good research. Re-visit these great articles for yourself and make up your own mind.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 01:18:43 AM »
Five members have voted now, so no article is selected yet. I am hoping for more members participating. The differences are very small, a good indication of real quality. Remember that the "Best of World of Coins" are the equivalent of a brass plate. They show visitors who we are and what we are capable of and they show us at our best; appreciating what others have done.

Let's go for ten voters by the weekend. I like easy targets ;)

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 11:34:42 PM »
We have done it! Ten voters by the weekend. Now let's make the jump to 12 voters, which would have made it possible to applaud our first winner in theory. In practice, the votes are very equally divided and also, not all voters have used all of their five votes yet. Expressing your appreciation should be easy, especially when the quality is so high. If you have not voted yet, it's a small effort and it means a lot.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »
We're up to 12 voters. Thank you those yo have put in some votes. Please remember:
YOU HAVE FIVE VOTES
Out of 60 possible votes, only 30 have been cast. I promise to switch off the annoying text above if we get up to 66.67% of possible votes cast or in three days, whichever comes first ;)

There are only three days and a few hours to go. It's not difficult to vote and it's a well-deserved nod of acknowledgement for the authors. You can do it too. Try it. You'll like it.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:29:48 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 01:39:08 AM »
I didn't use my 5 votes. But I don't see how to vote again.
Dale

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 04:12:45 AM »
But I don't see how to vote again.
Dale
Same here. I'm I bit confused. I voted once and can now only view the results...

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Voting 2014
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 08:33:17 AM »
I didn't use my 5 votes. But I don't see how to vote again.
Dale

Click on 'Remove Vote' and vote for the 5 choices again. :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 10:04:50 AM »
That worked. Thanks.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 11:01:31 PM »
You have 16 voters and what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt.
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't gooooow:
The votes are close but still too low!

One article is tantalisingly close and the rest is not really all that far behind. It must be possible to select at least one winner from this field of really good stuff. Only 49 hours left. Make an effort, please.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:53:42 AM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »
Hours to go only and we still have no winner. However, I have discovered a painful flaw in the method of calculating the threshold for determining winners. The present formula is W=(0.5/100)*M in normal people's words, you need 0.5% of the membership (M) to win (W). The problem with that formula is that the more nominations you have, the less the chance of passing the threshold becomes. That is not the intention and it would be unfair to those who happen to have written great articles in a productive year.

Although the hour is late, I propose to amend the rules, so that the formula becomes W=(0.5/100)*M*(V/N), in plainspeak: correct the threshold with the number of votes (V) over the number of nominations (N). That change would cancel the influence of the number of nominations. It also gives us the flexibility to adjust the number of votes in years with many or very few nominations. If you are willing to accept this change (please do), the threshold becomes 8 votes [12*(5/8)].

With apologies for not having noted this before.

Peter

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 03:02:09 PM »
Using a correction factor to eliminate a bias is usually non-controversial per se.
You could however simply choose the top three vote getters each year with ties allowed.
Each of the top three would be a winner, not first, second, and third.

All that aside, your way seems to me to work.

Dale

Hours to go only and we still have no winner. However, I have discovered a painful flaw in the method of calculating the threshold for determining winners. The present formula is W=(0.5/100)*M in normal people's words, you need 0.5% of the membership (M) to win (W). The problem with that formula is that the more nominations you have, the less the chance of passing the threshold becomes. That is not the intention and it would be unfair to those who happen to have written great articles in a productive year.

Although the hour is late, I propose to amend the rules, so that the formula becomes W=(0.5/100)*M*(V/N), in plainspeak: correct the threshold with the number of votes (V) over the number of nominations (N). That change would cancel the influence of the number of nominations. It also gives us the flexibility to adjust the number of votes in years with many or very few nominations. If you are willing to accept this change (please do), the threshold becomes 8 votes [12*(5/8)].

With apologies for not having noted this before.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 11:13:04 PM »
The voting is over and no one objected to the modification of the threshold. We have 8 winners, 2 gold medals and six silver medals. The gold medal winners are:

Harry, for an article in 2013 and one in 2014.
<k>, for two articles in 2014

Most excellent performance both. Congratulations.

First time and therefore silver medal winners, in order of date of nomination are:

Mitresh
medved
Gusev
Constanius
@josephjk

Very well done, gentlemen. Congratulations.

The medals are in the mail. They are yours and well deserved. You can use them as avatar if you wish. Fosseway, who is a pro editor, will edit the articles together with the authors.

This election would not have been possible without those who nominated articles. :thankyou:

A big thank you for those who voted. We got more voters than last year. It may look simple, until you consider that 3140 members did not vote, so I drink to the health of those who did vote.

:rock:

Peter
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:31:13 PM by Figleaf »