News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

National Bank of Uzbekistan

Started by Figleaf, December 26, 2013, 09:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Yesterday, I could add four items to my library. It is easier to say what they are not than what they are. They are not coffee table books, scientific works or catalogues. They are somewhere in between a brochure and a book. Each of them treats the history of Uzbekistan by showing 100 coins from the National Bank of Uzbekistan, each book showing different coins, not necessarily different types and including coins struck elsewhere, circulating in Uzbekistan. The texts with the photos, in Uzbek and English are sparse, but sufficient for further research. Each period is preceded by a page with nicely done atmosphere pictures of artefacts from the period, with more artefacts with the introduction. I could have done without the post 1918 coins (there is an awkward gap between 1918 and 1994) and the photo, intro and quotes of the local tyrant, but I suppose they are obligatory in a dictatorship.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Afrasi

Wow! These catalogues I need, too, to sort all my stuff from Central Asia.

Merry Christmas!

Figleaf

They are not really catalogues, Afrasi. They are great at familiarising you with the main types of coins circulating in the country (wherever struck) and setting you up for further research. You will find many of those types on this site, not necessarily connected to Uzbekistan. They also give you a good feeling for how classical typology of coins/countries/areas/rulers is badly suited to describe what was really circulating in a given territory. Last but certainly not least, they let you enjoy 400 nice to very nice coins, well photographed.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

THCoins

Nice addition. I think these introductory works are perfect as you say to familiarize yourself a bit more with the subject.
This part of the world may have gone a bit forgotten, it's history remains very rich and interesting.