Bristol Baths Drawers Deposit

Started by malj1, December 25, 2013, 09:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Bristol Baths Drawers Deposit 6d. uniface, Aluminium, 25.6mm.

I have been unable to decide which baths in Bristol this was intended for, I found mention of both North and South baths in Bristol along with these two below which fit the probable early 20th century date, prior to WW1, of the token:

Rennison's swimming baths were the first in Bristol...
...eventually being acquired by the Bristol Corporation for public use in 1892. The Public Baths and Wash Houses Act of 1846 encouraged local authorities in the UK to provide municipal baths for citizens as part of a drive to improve public health and hygiene. By 1896 they had attracted 33,231 visitors but were closed in 1916 as a cost saving during World War I.

Built as subscription baths at a time when local authorities were beginning to provide municipal public baths, the Clifton Victoria Baths were eventually bought by the Corporation in 1897 and later became the UK's first electrically heated pool.

The token appears to be a deposit for the hire of a bathing suit, colloquially known in Australia as "budgie smugglers". See our Prime minister.

...This woollen swimming tunic and drawers  date to about 1900 and may look unsuitable for swimming, but were less restrictive than the full-length bathing costumes of the 1800s.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.