Author Topic: Help with French Cross References  (Read 936 times)

Offline terryzman

Help with French Cross References
« on: December 24, 2013, 10:47:02 PM »
Hello All,

I am just working up some recent purchases including some French Royal pieces.  The main reference I have for these is Clairand's, Les Monnaies Royales Franšaises.  It has been quite helpful.  I am interested in getting more info on the cross references it provides.  For most coins, it provides a Dy. cross ref, which I am presuming to be to Duplessy's work.  i am also seeing references to Sb. , L., and C. Which works do these refer to?  Can anyone share their recommendations/views on Duplessy's work and the others covering French Royal and Feudal coins?  Thanks

- Terry       

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Help with French Cross References
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »
C. should be Ciani.

Just check the CGB websites for your coins. There you will find lots of info and cross-references.

:)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Help with French Cross References
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 12:05:43 PM »
Dy is Duplessy.  There are two tomes on Royal coins, three on feudal coins, one of which is not yet out. His books are the latest reference for French coins until the revolution. Before him it was Poey d'Avant, which can be found free on the net. I presume L is Lafaurie.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.