Author Topic: Ilkhans: Taghay Timur Khan AH737-754, AR 2-Dirham  (Read 916 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Ilkhans: Taghay Timur Khan AH737-754, AR 2-Dirham
« on: December 24, 2013, 08:42:49 PM »
The Ilkhans were the Mongol rulers over Persia for a period of more than 100 Years.

This was one of those pieces from the bargain bin. The style identifies it as Ilkhan. Both sides show nice calligraphy in Arab , no pictures, and are a bit weakly struck and off-centre. This places the piece among the later Ilkhan rules.
This fits with the weight, which qualifies it as a AR 2-Dirham piece.
Next step is the Cartouche: both sides show a Hexagram. This only fits with pieces issued by Taghay Timur Khan AH 737-754.
In addition, the double hexagram type is usually dated AH739 (not visible here) and these are thought to have been struck in Anatolia.

AR 16-18 mm, 2.16 gr. Album 2225. One side shows the Kalima, the other the Khan's titles in Arab.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:46:39 PM by THCoins »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Ilkhans: Taghay Timur Khan AH737-754, AR 2-Dirham
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:58:14 PM »
And once more, I realise how little I know about the history of this area. You saved it from oblivion by being able to find out what it is. Easier said than done, I am sure.

Great meditation value, especially for a rummage tray piece.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Ilkhans: Taghay Timur Khan AH737-754, AR 2-Dirham
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »
I find the best way to improve my knowledge on a subject is to have a starting point in some unknown shabby coin. i don't risk anything by buying some nice 2 to 5 euro pieces from an unassorted heap sometimes, and gives me lots of pleasure  :D