Author Topic: Samanids, AE Fals of Ismail Bin Ahmad, Samarkand 280AH  (Read 1004 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Samanids, AE Fals of Ismail Bin Ahmad, Samarkand 280AH
« on: December 21, 2013, 07:40:41 PM »
With the decline of the Abassids, a local noble family clan took over power in the north of Persia and subsequently expanded its power into central Asia.

This is a AE Fals of Ismail Bin Ahmad AH279-295, AD 892-907.
It suffered a bit from surface corrosion and was cleaned a bit harshly, but apart from that i think it is extra-ordinarily well preserved for the type.
The right side shows the Kalima: There's no deity but god alone, he has no equal.
   لا اله الا
   الله وحده
   لا شرك له

the marginal inscription states the date as 280AH and Samarkand "سمرقند"as mintplace.

The left side in the centre reads: God, Muhammad the messenger of God.
    الله
   محمد
   رسول
    الله

The bottom part of the marginal inscription reads the name of the ruler : "اسماعیل بن احمد".

AE 26 mm 4.3 gr, Album 1444.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:32:49 PM by THCoins »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Samanids, AE Fals of Ismail Bin Ahmad, Samarkand 280AH
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 12:16:28 AM »
Extraordinary indeed.

In view of the heavily pitted surface, my guess is that this coin was found in the soil, looking like a big grey-green clump. Someone cleaned off the oxidation (maybe by acid), destroying the patina, but discovering a very nice coin. If you treat the coin to an extended olive oil bath, it will turn a shade darker. Wipe off the oil, without washing the coin and it will attract dirt in a very natural way, filling the pock marks. In a polluted environment (close to an Amsterdam canal or the Mobil Oil refinery would be perfect) the coin will regain a natural look, but it may take many months, even some years.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 11:28:03 AM »
I am close to Schiphol, pollution is even a bit higher here. Only takes a few weeks and the right wind to cover the surface with fuel fallout. I am a bit reluctant however, because of the remaining greenish spot. Might be soms subsurface decay going on which i would not like to progress. So for now it is in quarantaine in a dry environment. I might rub it with a little antique wax, that will also smooth the surface a little.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »
Looks reddish on my screen. If it worries you and you have a surgeon's steady hand and access to dental supplies, you can scrape it off with the hooks dentists use to clean between teeth. Otherwise, Bruce's recipe may be called for.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 12:04:45 PM »
The red stuff on the left photo is not on the surface. It is the surface itself which has gone all bubbly. I remmoved some, but there are only cavities below. It seems indolent however so i leave it be. I am more worried of the green hue on the Kalima side, that seems increasing a bit.