Author Topic: African Quiz  (Read 4795 times)

andyg

Re: African Quiz
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
I don't know much about metallurgy, but I've tried melting a few different things, and I know that pewter is almost completely zinc with either lead, bronze or antimony thrown in (as a stabilizer, I suppose). Maybe that's why pewter is the same. The chemical symbol for zinc is Zn by the way.

Pewter is mainly tin not zinc!!
Spelter is a synonym of zinc.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 01:45:39 PM »
There exists no word "spelter" in German. My sources are the actual Duden, Merck's Warenlexikon (a lexicon of trading goods of the 30s) and my weak brain ...  8)

I know the chemical symbol of Zinc, but - as you did write in your second post - pewter is hardened tin by the way.  ;)

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 02:07:22 PM »
In general pewter is mostly tin with small varying amounts of copper, antimony, bismuth or silver.  It can even have lead but lead is a no-no for finer pewter and most consumer products.

I have a small home-made furnace and can melt aluminum easily and copper and brass with a little more effort.  Pewter is fairly easy to do.  Working with brass can be deadly if precautions are not taken as it contains zinc.  Zinc is a nasty medal to work with.

Dale

Offline RHM22

• E NVMMI AGNITIO
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 02:25:01 PM »
Pewter is mainly tin not zinc!!

:P Apparently the morning does not suit me well! Either that or my mind is going.

Offline RHM22

• E NVMMI AGNITIO
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 02:28:23 PM »
Anyway, what I meant to say was that pewter is mostly tin, so maybe that's why the chemical symbol is the same.

Austrokiwi

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 06:06:25 PM »

I think that is the less common definition, I understood that spelter was an alloy of zinc used in soldering and brazing. I suppose its meaning depends on what you are most experienced with.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 07:55:24 PM »
New information: The coin has been struck at the Ilha de Mocambique - like Andy stated before.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 10:37:05 PM »
I captured this image of some Cornish tin ingots from the TV program 'Antiques Roadshow' just recently. Cornwall was a big producer of tin in bygone days.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.