News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Bengal Sultan: Ghiyath al-din Iwad Khilji, Tanka, GG B-37 "RRR"

Started by mitresh, December 18, 2013, 09:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitresh

Bengal Sultanate, Ghiyath al-Din Iwaz Khilji, Silver Tanka, issued in the name of Delhi Sultan Iltutmish, 10.8g, 31mm, AH 622, 1224 AD, GG B-37 (marked "RRR" Highest Rarity in Sultanate Coins)

Obv:Within a circle surrounded by an outer dotted border: Shahada and name of the Caliph (al-Nasir).

Rev: al-Sultan al-muazzam shams al-dunya wa'l din abul muzaffar Iltutmish al-sultan yamin khalifat allah nasir amir al-muminin, with the name of Iwad in the third line from top at extreme left.

This rare type was struck after the expedition of Iltutmish in 620-621 AH to Bengal to quell the rebellion of Iwad. Iwad submitted, and struck a series of tankas (in 622 AH) in the name of Iltutmish (5 different types 4 of which, including this coin, are exceedingly rare). This submission was very short-lived, since his rebellion resumed shortly after Iltutmish left for Delhi.

This coin also names Iwad as the issuer.

Nicely preserved coin despite the usual flat/weak strike around the border and edges.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

mitresh

coin re-attached with name of Iwad marked in "red"

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mitresh

mitresh

Apparently Big Chief Iltutmi was not happy at the young whipper snapper from Bengal challenging his authority so to satisfy his bruised ego, Iltutmi frog marched all the way to Bengal to kick the butt of Iwaz and when he got tired of kicking his pants, took his head off as souvenir for his kids to play football later.

Figleaf

No big loss, as the head apparently wasn't used for any thinking anyway. You don't tell the boss you are sorry only to do the same thing again. Makes your coin not just a wonderful illustration of history, but also a great morality exhibit.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Md. Shariful Islam

Md. Shariful Islam

I attach three coins. First two coins are issued by Iwad INO Iltutmish. First one declares Iltutmish as Sultan on obverse and Kalima on reverse. The second coin declares Iltutmish as sultan and reverse depicts horse rider. The third coin declares Iwad himself as sultan of Bengal. Reverse of this coin bears Kalima.

THCoins

Figleaf

Fantastic collection, great to see them all together. Puzzling to see the kalima and the horse and rider occupying the same place on a different coin...

Peter

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: Figleaf on December 18, 2013, 05:45:02 PM
Fantastic collection, great to see them all together. Puzzling to see the kalima and the horse and rider occupying the same place on a different coin...

Peter
On the horse side kalima is placed on the margin.

PeaceBD

Mitresh, nice looking coin with some very interesting history. TFS.

mitresh

Superb coins, Islam ji. Apologies if I hurt your sentiments in any way as my comment was meant in jest and light banter only.

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: mitresh on December 19, 2013, 06:42:44 AM
Superb coins, Islam ji. Apologies if I hurt your sentiments in any way as my comment was meant in jest and light banter only.

No Mitresh jee, its alright. Thanks for your understanding.

shiblius

Quote from: mitresh on December 18, 2013, 01:25:55 PM
Apparently Big Chief Iltutmi was not happy at the young whipper snapper from Bengal challenging his authority so to satisfy his bruised ego, Iltutmi frog marched all the way to Bengal to kick the butt of Iwaz and when he got tired of kicking his pants, took his head off as souvenir for his kids to play football later.

I am not sure that Iltutmish had a bruised ego on account of Ghiyath al-Din Iwad Khalji asserting his independence, because he did so during the very short reign of Aram Shah, who had succeeded Qutb al-Din Aybeg in 612 AH (1215 C.E.). Also, Iwad was killed after losing Bengal to Nasir al-Din Mahmud, the eldest son and the most likely heir of Iltutmish in 624 AH (1227 C.E). Actually, Iwad is seen as a just and wise ruler by most historians, and they even record that after Iwad's death, Iltutmish held him in high regard and had decreed that Iwad be declared as Sultan on his grave.