Author Topic: Netherlands (Dutch) East India Company, Gold Pagoda. KM#22  (Read 1658 times)

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
Netherlands (Dutch) East India Company, Gold Pagoda. KM#22
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:53:41 PM »
Netherlands (Dutch) East India Company, AV Pagoda 'Porto Novo' type Negapatnam or Pulicat mint
Obv: Vishnu enthroned facing. Rev:Granulated design.
Scholten 1229 var.; Mitchiner (Non-Islamic) 1594; Fr. 1508; KM 22

The coin is basically "as stuck" with nice glowing luster. Most of the coins of this type that I have seen are either very weakly stuck with rather crude design or are pretty well circulated. So when I first saw the coin I fell in love with it.

Let me know what you guys think and share any pics or info if you have one.

Thanks
Bhushan

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Re: Netherlands (Dutch) East India Company, Gold Pagoda. KM#22
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »
WOW!  You are one lucky guy.  I am totally green with envy  :)  Where do you even pick up these coins?  Please spill your secrets  ;D
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »
WOW!  You are one lucky guy.  I am totally green with envy  :)  Where do you even pick up these coins?  Please spill your secrets  ;D
Ram, thanks a lot. I think our sources are the same, its just a matter of luck. ;)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:36:41 PM »
Every bit as nice as the illustration in Scholten (1229a), plus colour and at a much larger size. Great, Bushan! The specimen I have seen suffer more from an ex-centric strike than from wear/weak strike. I think that they didn't wear much because of their small size and weight.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »
Ram, thanks a lot. I think our sources are the same, its just a matter of luck. ;)

Hehe, must be quicker than I am  ;D
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:53:19 PM »
Every bit as nice as the illustration in Scholten (1229a), plus colour and at a much larger size. Great, Bushan! The specimen I have seen suffer more from an ex-centric strike than from wear/weak strike. I think that they didn't wear much because of their small size and weight.

Peter
Peter, thanks a lot. You are correct when you say a lot of coins of this type are not centrally stuck so when that is clubbed with the crude design it makes very hard for a collector to find a nice piece to add to his collection. I personally know that I have been waiting for a piece like this to become available. I first saw this coin last year I believe. It appeared in one of Albums auction and I missed it then. I was glad to see it offered by one of the dealer recently and picked it up.  ;D

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 07:18:01 AM »
Superb example. Thanks for sharing.