Netherlands (Dutch) East India Company, Gold Pagoda. KM#22

Started by PeaceBD, December 16, 2013, 04:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeaceBD

Netherlands (Dutch) East India Company, AV Pagoda 'Porto Novo' type Negapatnam or Pulicat mint
Obv: Vishnu enthroned facing. Rev:Granulated design.
Scholten 1229 var.; Mitchiner (Non-Islamic) 1594; Fr. 1508; KM 22

The coin is basically "as stuck" with nice glowing luster. Most of the coins of this type that I have seen are either very weakly stuck with rather crude design or are pretty well circulated. So when I first saw the coin I fell in love with it.

Let me know what you guys think and share any pics or info if you have one.

Thanks
Bhushan

Quant.Geek

WOW!  You are one lucky guy.  I am totally green with envy  :)  Where do you even pick up these coins?  Please spill your secrets  ;D
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

PeaceBD

Quote from: Quant.Geek on December 16, 2013, 04:55:56 PM
WOW!  You are one lucky guy.  I am totally green with envy  :)  Where do you even pick up these coins?  Please spill your secrets  ;D
Ram, thanks a lot. I think our sources are the same, its just a matter of luck. ;)

Figleaf

Every bit as nice as the illustration in Scholten (1229a), plus colour and at a much larger size. Great, Bushan! The specimen I have seen suffer more from an ex-centric strike than from wear/weak strike. I think that they didn't wear much because of their small size and weight.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Quant.Geek

Quote from: PeaceBD on December 16, 2013, 05:13:54 PM
Ram, thanks a lot. I think our sources are the same, its just a matter of luck. ;)

Hehe, must be quicker than I am  ;D
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

PeaceBD

Quote from: Figleaf on December 16, 2013, 06:36:41 PM
Every bit as nice as the illustration in Scholten (1229a), plus colour and at a much larger size. Great, Bushan! The specimen I have seen suffer more from an ex-centric strike than from wear/weak strike. I think that they didn't wear much because of their small size and weight.

Peter
Peter, thanks a lot. You are correct when you say a lot of coins of this type are not centrally stuck so when that is clubbed with the crude design it makes very hard for a collector to find a nice piece to add to his collection. I personally know that I have been waiting for a piece like this to become available. I first saw this coin last year I believe. It appeared in one of Albums auction and I missed it then. I was glad to see it offered by one of the dealer recently and picked it up.  ;D

repindia