Author Topic: Sri Lanka: Coins Vanishing from National Museum  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Sri Lanka: Coins Vanishing from National Museum
« on: December 16, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »
Bizarre vanishing of museum artifacts

MONDAY, 16 DECEMBER 2013 09:13

As many as 221 artifacts including old coins dating back to Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa eras, ancient swords and the belt worn by Nugawela Adikaram, had disappeared last year after an exhibition conducted at the Colombo National Museum, Parliament was informed recently.     

The annual report of the National Heritage Ministry, presented to the House last week, detailed out the items stolen from the central lobby of the upper floor of the Museum after the exhibition held on March 16, 2012.

The items thus stolen were listed out as 66 gold coins belonging to the Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa eras, three gold ceremonial coins, two Mohammedan silver coins, a necklace with gold Panam coins, 40 silver coins that belonged to the Kandy period, ten silver coins, nine led coins with scripts, 42 currency notes issued after 1942, five swords with scabbards 18/19 centuries), three swords without scabbards(18/19 centuries), 18 rings made of gold, silver and braze, 18 rings made of gold, silver and carnelian seal with a female figure embossed in it, two walking sticks and the belt worn by Nugawela Adikaram (made of  green colour fabric and  embroidered with gold threads).

Among these items, the sword of Nugawela Adikaram was a unique one. Its handle was carved with the picture of a snarling lion. The blade had been made of steel. It was 65 centimeters long.  The sheath of the sword had a decorative flower design. 

The upper part of the walking stick stolen was 23 centimeters long. It was made of silver, and studded with faceted stones of different colours. Nugawela Adikaram’s four-foot walking stick made of low quality gold had also gone missing.

The lost rings made of gold and silver were studded with blue, yellow and pink sapphires.

Source: Daily Mirror
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Sri Lanka: Coins Vanishing from National Museum
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:02:47 PM »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:07:04 PM »
That last was dated Sunday, August 26, 2012 - I wonder what has happened since?
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Chatterjee_Soubhik

• Chatterjee
    • My Numista
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 02:49:58 AM »
The suspect in the theft seems to have been remanded. Six other suspects were previously arrested in relation to the case but released on bail (strangely, getting a bail is easier after being arrested for plundering national heritage, than in cases of petty theft in a local shop.)
That was in Sept-5, 2016. After that date, I'm yet to find another newsreport regarding this theft at the Colombo National Museum in 2012.

regards,
Soubhik.

Ref: Daily News, Google News
Numismatics is the window to the history of the human civilisation.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 11:24:53 AM »
What happened to the stolen artefacts is of a lot more concern than what happened to the soulless culprits. Also, one hopes that the museum has learned the lesson about security. One can always hope.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 02:01:56 PM »
Hello
I think the stolen items were sold to pay the bail
best regards Gerard