Linked Events

• Coin Exhibition 2014- Nasik: January 10, 2014 - January 12, 2014

Author Topic: Coin Exhibition 2014- Nasik  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Vivek

• Honorary Member
Coin Exhibition 2014- Nasik
« on: December 16, 2013, 05:04:28 AM »
Date:10 to 12 Jan
Venue:
Collector's society of Numismatic & Rare Items
Samarpan Mangal Karyalaya, Vasant Market
Canada Corner Nasik.

Vivek

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
Re: Coin Exhibition 2014- Nasik
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 05:57:25 AM »
Looks like these days every small town is into exhibitions ... the coin collecting is being expanded by dealers to generate more revenue  ;D
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 06:07:02 AM »
I think more than generating revenues, these dealers are going to smaller towns to look for the old coins, which are being held in the lockers of every Indian household. Who knows, that a very rare coin may land in some dealers hand at almost silver price?

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 07:20:13 AM »
Very true ... I heard that in Palghar and Dhanu [near Mumbai] there are still households and some dealers source coins from there ... amazing finds and almost never ending

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 07:30:24 AM »
I attended this particular show along with my friends on Saturday (January 10). Here's the report:

In all, there were about 30 stalls; most of the dealers were from Mumbai / Gujarat area. Rajgors had their 30th auction on Saturday evening. There was hardly any foreign stuff, Republic India coins/banknotes, fancy number banknotes, British India, Mughals, Sultanates were abundant. It seemed that Republic India coins' market has crashed badly (due to the restrikes etc); there wasn't much demand for proof/unc sets.

A huge lot of about 700 gold coins (Presidency/Mughal) arrived late Friday which attracted lots of collectors from all over India on Saturday morning. :o That also resulted in huge drop in prices, many of them were sold near gold value.

Only one seller had some foreign stuff for sale but the prices were absolute rip-off (INR 12,500 for set of 4 Canadian silvers) so I didn't buy a single coin.

There was also an exhibition of coins/other collectible and it was indeed nice. Lots of school children were seen enjoying it. :) Overall arrangements were pretty good.

While it was a disappointing show for me, there was some compensation: Had some nice French and Italian food in the lunch at Sula Wineyards. :) It was much better than what I was expecting; should have been more spicy though. :D Didn't drink wine... ;D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 07:33:14 AM »
Travel through time with rare coins

Sumita Sarkar,TNN | Jan 12, 2015, 01.55 AM IST

NASHIK: For eight-year-old Yogendra Yeola, the Rare Fair exhibition in Nashik has been an eye-opener. The student of Class IV realized the value of his rare coin collection only when he inquired about the prices of the coins on display at the three-day Rare Fair exhibition, organized by the Collector's Society of Numismatic and Rare Items, Nashik, over January 9-11 at the Indraprastha Hall, Old Gangapur Naka.

"This is a nice exhibition. We have old coins at home - original brass coins of Rs 2, Rs 3, Rs 5 and Rs 10 - but we did not know their value. At the exhibition, a single such coin was being sold for Rs 200-300. I realized the value of my collection," said the young visitor. It was an unusual Sunday for Nashikites as they were treated to rare items from different eras at the exhibit, including coins, currency notes, stamps and other antiques. Among other items, currency notes dating back to British India, coins from the Gupta, Maurya, Magadha and Greek dynasties and dollars of 32 American presidents had been put on display.

"This is the third year of the exhibition. We have had thousands of visitors in these three days, from all over the state. Most customers have been from Nashik, Nagpur, Mumbai and Delhi. The awareness has increased over the years among citizens. In comparison to the previous years, visitors from increased by 25-30 per cent this time. Nearly 75 per cent of the visitors are from Nashik this year," said Deepak Patel, former secretary of the Collector's Society of Numismatic and Rare Items, Nashik.

"Earlier, people from the city used to visit Mumbai for such exhibitions. Now we have 35 stalls from collectors all over the country. The maximum number of collectors is from Mumbai and Delhi," said Patel. At Saturday's auction, a visitor from Nagpur bought a rare coin dating back to Mughal emperor Akbar's era for Rs 6 lakh. Shivrai coins dating back to the 17th century, coins of Maharaja Madan Khemaji of Kuchh from 1,334 AD and a 700-year-old coin of the Sultan of Delhi adorned the stall of Oswal Auctioneers.Dilip Rajgor of Rajgor's Heritage of India, who auctioned a very rare coin dating back to the Kushana empire (AD 152-192) - a dinar with the winged goddess Oanindo on one side and a crowned bust of King Huvishka - for Rs 2.55 lakh on Saturday, said that the exhibition saw a varied crowd, ranging from students and businessmen to curious homemakers.

"The coin is from the Satvahana era and belongs to the first century AD. The coin reads in Brahmi legend in the central tablet in the shape of a rectangle," said Rajgor, a third generation collector. "We did not expect these many visitors in Nashik," said Rajgor. "This is our 30th auction. I have been collecting from 1987 as a hobby. Most Indian houses have a coin collection. During Laxmi pujan, people offer coins and sometimes come to us for selling them, after years," he said. Social worker Sunita Bhatwal was amazed to see such an exhibition and the craze of antique aficionados.

"This is a first for me; it has been a great experience. People have even come up with new gift ideas, like anniversary or birthday currency notes," said Bhatwal. Vimalkumar Jain, a senior citizen, was delighted that many students visited the auction. "It is a good idea to keep school and college students engaged in such activities. I have a passion for these things and had faced opposition from my family when I was young," he added.

Source: Times of India
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 07:34:25 AM »
"This is a nice exhibition. We have old coins at home - original brass coins of Rs 2, Rs 3, Rs 5 and Rs 10 - but we did not know their value.

Rs 3 COIN?!?!??!? :o Is that a pattern? ;D ;D ;D

Aditya

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 05:54:51 AM »
original brass coins of Rs 2, Rs 3, Rs 5 and Rs 10
Rs 3 COIN?!?!??!? :o Is that a pattern? ;D ;D ;D

Aditya

All are pattern. Original BRASS of Rs 2, Rs 3, Rs 5 and Rs 10  >:D >:D >:D

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »
All are pattern. Original BRASS of Rs 2, Rs 3, Rs 5 and Rs 10  >:D >:D >:D

Those brass patterns are actually fake. Real ones were made in gold. >:D

Aditya