Author Topic: Erroneous €2 Coin from Unknown Country  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Erroneous €2 Coin from Unknown Country
« on: December 15, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »
Here's a strange €2 coin I recently got. This is perhaps one of my most favorite bimetallic because I don't know its origin. :D

The weight and diameter of the coin are normal (8.5 g and 25.75 mm respectively). Edge inscription is as follows:

Which tells us that it can be from any of the following countries: Belgium, France, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco and Spain.

For some obvious reasons, my vote goes to Belgium ;), but this is just a guess.

My first reaction was that it must be a counterfeit but its technical specifications are all correct. If it's a genuine coin, then it certainly shows the negligence in quality control of the mint involved.

Comments welcome! 8)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Erroneous €2 Coin from Unknown Country
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »
Belgium because it apparently passed QC? Well, you can come across these elsewhere too. If you buy one from a dealer, you pay roughly between 10 and 20 euro, depending on condition and country ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 02:52:46 PM »
Belgium because it apparently passed QC? Well, you can come across these elsewhere too. If you buy one from a dealer, you pay roughly between 10 and 20 euro, depending on condition and country ...

Well, I too think that this one is from Belgium...

I think this was a good buy for €5... :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Erroneous €1 Coin from Unknown Country
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 09:02:43 AM »
Received a €1 coin with identical error yesterday. These €1 and €2 make a nice pair, don't they? :)

Aditya

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Erroneous €2 Coin from Unknown Country
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 09:54:51 AM »
I notice the 1 euro has the pyramid-shaped mark of Vickers/diamond pyramid hardness testing. Probably it was removed from a batch of blanks that had been annealed, tested, and then retained by the tester, so attention to detail in QC rather than poor QC.

Alan

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
I notice the 1 euro has the pyramid-shaped mark of Vickers/diamond pyramid hardness testing. Probably it was removed from a batch of blanks that had been annealed, tested, and then retained by the tester, so attention to detail in QC rather than poor QC.

Interesting observation. I was wondering what those marks could mean. The question is how did it come out of the mint. (Not complaining though!) :D

Aditya