Measuring and die rotation

Started by gbansal, December 07, 2013, 01:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Excellent work Peter and Ole! Will try the method with some of the cheap coins in my collection. :D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

FosseWay

I have the above equipment for measuring weight and size, plus a magnet.

But so far I have not come across a coin where anything like a precise measure of die rotation has been important for attribution. Broadly, milled coins are officially either 0 or 180 aligned, and if they are the opposite, or somewhere in between, it is glaringly obvious and generally an error. IME hammered coins, and a lot of tokens, are completely random anyway.

Are there any coins, errors excepted, where a precise measure of rotation is needed in order to attribute them precisely (e.g. to a given mint, or if undated, to a particular timespan)?

dheer

Quote from: FosseWay on December 10, 2013, 06:47:15 PM
Are there any coins, errors excepted, where a precise measure of rotation is needed in order to attribute them precisely (e.g. to a given mint, or if undated, to a particular timespan)?

Although not direct, in some Indian coins, the design is such that unless you measure it becomes very difficult to find out if it actually is an error or not.

Plus there are people who like to make a Clock Theme on rotation errors, that to in same metal / value coins. There are quite a few who have done 12 in a Clock, but some want to do 24 in a Clock, so yes here to an extent measurement helps  :)
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies