China, Sheng Sung seal script (1101). Remmelts 87

Started by bart, March 08, 2008, 10:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bart

Fifth coin is attributed to Hoang Dinh (1601-1619)
Size is 23 mm.
This one is heavily colored. Could be as a reaction from copper to the glue or to something else.

Bart

translateltd

I'd need some time with a catalogue to compare the seal characters for good measure, but this one appears to read clockwise rather than the usual north-south-east-west.  The right-hand character is "tei" in Japanese ("di" in Chinese) = Emperor, so dinh in Vietnamese sounds logical.  It's just the first, rather blurred character that I can't make out.  From the fabric I would originally have said it was Song dynasty Chinese, reading something like Huangdi Yuanbao, though I'd need to check in the catalogue for further attribution.

Martin
NZ

Quote from: bart on March 08, 2008, 10:30:18 AM
Fifth coin is attributed to Hoang Dinh (1601-1619)
Size is 23 mm.
This one is heavily colored. Could be as a reaction from copper to the glue or to something else.

Bart

nguyen anh tu

Figleaf

Thank you for the lead. I agree that this is Chinese. See attached scan from Remmelts.

Sheng Sung yuan pao (seal script). Emperor Hui Tsung, era Sheng Sung 1101AD.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

Oh well, I got the reading all wrong but the general period right at least :-)

bart

Thanks a lot to everyone in attributing this coin.

Bart

Figleaf

Here's my specimen. It looks better in hand and is quite readable. Had to chase up contrast and compensate by lightening to show at least some of the characters. Other side is blank.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.