Electra Games - Arcade Token - Which Country?

Started by Afrasi, November 30, 2013, 06:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afrasi

Figleaf

American company. Found games dated 1975 and 1976 only, but they also made jukeboxes. Use of English rather than French and character of the token points to a relaxed country with an entertainment industry. Egypt comes to mind. In 1975 it was politically "stable" and a popular tourist destination.

Found two collectors of Electra stuff here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I have an earlier Electra token from Germany. Brass, 20.1mm.

These Electra Shooting slot machines were manufactured by Automates Electra GmbH, Cologne: © 1907. They were manufactured in large numbers over the ensuing twenty years and were imitated by many other makers, remaining popular in various forms throughout the 20th century; see image.

Possibly for the British machine from Electra Manufacturing Company, London, Circa 1912; see lot 98 Costa sale.

See my page to see other similar items.

See also this page [may need to enter Electra in the search box]
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Afrasi

Thanks!

Now I think over Figleaf's term "relaxed country". Yes, Egypt was my first choice, too, as you can see at the picture's title. Another country "with an entertainment industry", which I would call a little bit less relaxed, is Saudi-Arabia. See this token:

malj1

We need a translation of the squiggly text, Arabic? on the reverse of yours.

The other, 'where a kid can be a kid' will be found wherever a Chuck E. Cheese outlet is found.

Here is a US one. I believe they are also found here in Oz.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

FosseWay

The upper Arabic word says Electra (or as close as you can get to it in the Arabic alphabet). The lower one appears to be related to ألعاب, or approximately al 'a-at, which means Games.

So unfortunately there is no more info on the Arabic side than the English.

The UAE is a possible source, I think, given the prevalence of Western culture there and the use of English rather than French as the main non-Arabic language.