Author Topic: Glasgow ferry token.  (Read 797 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Glasgow ferry token.
« on: November 30, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »
COWAN & Co. / FERRY Rev. Blank. round, Brass 30mm. RB 312; another is known in Pewter, RB 313

This ferry token from Glasgow was issued for use by a contractor Cowan & Co., when their vans or lorries used ferries to cross the River Clyde.

Ref. Ronnie Breingan's book, Scottish Transport Tokens (pub 2009)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
Re: Glasgow ferry token.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 09:05:18 PM »
The Smiths (1981) have the COWAN & Co. token cataloged as Scotland 420 FC. Also cataloged are thick and thin varieties of the same token in pewter, Scotland 420 FD.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Glasgow ferry token.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 11:55:28 PM »
I thought the description a little odd, 'for use by contractors' perhaps this means they are all from the Clyde Navigation Co. and issued for use by the various contractors?

It suggests they are not ferry operators themselves, so who issued the tokens?

I quote the paragraph:

Around the Clyde there were several tokens issued for use by contractors with vans or lorries such as W Gumming, Cowan & Co., James Shaw, Murdoch & Murray and U.C.B.S., Clydebank, which stands for 'United Co-operative Bakery Service. Most or all of these were for transport of vehicles on the ferries but there are also fairly common tokens issued by Clyde Navigation depicting an anchor and chain. The halfpenny ones are quite common. The twopenny ones are quite scarce while the ones with the wording 'Govan Ferry and Wharf are quite rare.

The listing in Smiths did not help so had left that.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.