News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

2000 D Penny Lamination error? Broad struck on dime planchet?

Started by Lynnetteasis, November 29, 2013, 03:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnetteasis

My husband found a very curious penny which appears to have an identity crisis. This 2000 D penny has obvious lamination troubles and is grossly misshaped. It is feather light weighing in at only 1.8 grams. What is your take on this coin? The coin is showing the obverse and is sitting next to a normal size and shaped 2002 penny.

Lynnetteasis

I didn't realize that the scan is only showing the obverse of the coin and is sitting next to a regular 2000 D penny. I will add the reverse in a moment. Sorry!

Prosit

That has so much white space it is hard to see  :D
Dale

Lynnetteasis

By white space I believe you are referring to the silver material left exposed with no copper lamination? Oh, I see. I am having a heck of a time trying to post images of scans!

Abhay

White space is the extra area of the image around the coin. Just try to crop (remove the unnecessary background around the coin) the image and then post it. this will also reduce the size of the image.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Prosit

Don't worry about it. Some scanners are hard to control. What is important is that you got it posted!

My initial reaction is that it is just damage and not something that came from the Mint that way. Maybe some of the real experts here can offer a more informed opinion.

The Silvery metal is Zinc. US Cents are Copper coated Zinc these days.  Zinc is a horrible coin metal! Wish they had never done that.
Dale

Lynnetteasis

That was my first impression too. The 2000 pennies had a lot of problems from what I have read.

Figleaf

I agree with Prosit. Not done in the mint. It looks like the coin spent some time in an acidic and/or heavily polluted environment. To put it in a less neutral way, a bar toilet is a good option.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

Don't know about a toilet  :) It definitely could happen though.

But I have often seen similar. I have ground a few down on a grinder just to see what the Zinc looked like.

Also in the rare times I get to go metal detecting these days, I always find a few dozen that don't look all that much different after coming out of the ground after only a short time buried.

Also I have seen them come out of a Cola spill after a short time looking similar and also when left on a plastic that disolved or got sticky in the sun.

It seems to me the modern US Cent are just looking for a place to self destruct and need very little incentive to do so.

They are so reactive, in spite of their massive mintage numbers, they may be tomorrow's rarities in top condition. Personally I can't seem to get too excited about that.

Dale

Figleaf

Yes, Coca Cola is also quite acidic. My guess is that the coin wouldn't be lying in it long enough, but I could indeed think of a scenario where it would spend considerable time in a spill. In that case, I would expect the coin to be sticky. Metal detector finds from acid soil would probably be attacked more evenly, i.e. either all the copper would still be there are most of it would be gone.

The edge would be more sensitive to pollutants and acids, as it is usually not completely covered with copper. What's more interesting is the state of the cladding on the obverse, suggesting that it was only partly exposed to the pollutant or acid. It reminded me of a plumbing trap, with the coin stuck diagonally, above the water level at the bottom of the U. It would have obstructed the water flow badly enough to call in a plumber or open the tubing. The coin was recovered and spent, maybe by the plumber. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Lynnetteasis

You guys are fun to get replies from!!! I am laughing so hard right now I have tears in my eyes! Thanks for your most enjoyable responses!

Prosit

I still have a hard time thinking a plumber would fetch the penny.

However here is how it might happen:

Two plumbers looking at a cent in a toilet.
First plumber throws a five dollar note in the toilet.
Second plumber says "Are you crazy?, Why did you do that?"
First plumber say "You din't think I would put my hand in that for just a Cent did you?"   >:D

Dale

Figleaf

Nah. Plumber unscrews bottom part of trap. Unspeakable mess comes out. Plumber utters some interesting new swear words, as half of the mess lands just outside the bucket below the evacuation stop (that's how it invariably goes when I do this myself.)

Bar owner calls in illegal immigrant (ii) with ugly smelling mop. When ii cleans up, there's a "clang" sound. Ii picks up coin, rubs unspeakable mess off on what kindly may be called an apron. At home, ii's kids laugh at her in Spanish, so rather than keeping it as lucky coin, she passes it off for a dime to an inattentive shopkeeper, who thoughtlessly gives it in change to Lynette's husband while discussing how their sports heroes failed again in last weekend's match. Attentive collector picks up piece and posts it here...

Peter

Lynnetteasis

Well, I must say, this was one penny worth it's weight in gold when it came to your humorous responses! Thank you Gentlemen!