Curaçao and Sint Maarten: New currency area

Started by Figleaf, November 28, 2008, 12:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on November 05, 2013, 12:07:54 PM
Except that they are for the Netherlands Antilles, and this country no longer exists. We still await the Caribbean guilder.

That news site (curacaochronicle.com) simply used a photo of the 2013 Troonswisseling coin. But the article is about next year's pieces, featuring Willem Alexander only. So there is hope. ;)

Christian

Pabitra

The new coin set from Royal Dutch Mint, Utrecht still follows the old coin designs and name as " Netherlands Antilles" with effigy of new king for 2014.

<k>

So the Caribbean guilder is still to be born. It's years overdue now.  >:(
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Pabitra

Quote from: <k> on January 02, 2015, 09:36:56 PM
So the Caribbean guilder is still to be born. It's years overdue now.  >:(

Perhaps aborted. Not likely to be born.

Here are the images of the set

chrisild

Digging up old topics, eh? The Antilles guilder seems to work; it basically is the local version of the US dollar (fixed rate), just like, and at the same rate as, the Aruba florin. And from what I have read, the two countries still have slightly different plans. As mentioned in the Central Banking article, Curaçao prefers having the guilder (but tied to the USD) while Sint Maarten would rather use the US dollar directly. Obviously there is no final decision. :)

Christian

<k>

A promise is a promise! I want my Caribbean guilder!  >:(

chrisild

Maybe they want to avoid the term "Curaçao" on the coins. Around here (DUS airport) that name currently raises lots of red flags. ;)  Admittedly it looks somewhat odd if the name of a non-existing entity is used on newly issued coins. But at least you have the new king on the pieces ...

Christian

eurocoin

Today I called the Central Bank of Sint Maarten and Curacao to ask for more information about the status of the Caribbean guilder.
The head of the currency department told me that the Caribbean guilder is an ongoing project and that they are still planning to introduce this new currency. The rumours about a possible introduction of the euro/US dollar aren't true.

The 2.50 guilder coin and the 250 guilder banknote will be replaced with a 20 guilder and 200 guilder banknote to comply with the international standards (20-based denominations). Also the 250 guilders banknote will be replaced as it was found that the value was too high.

She was not willing to give any further details about the coins and notes, not even if they had already been minted/printed. It was too early to give further information and they don't know yet when they will issue the new currency.

eurocoin

Finally we know what the coins of the Caribbean guilder will look like:

Figleaf

Apart from the map, that sounds like 80-year old designs.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

So each "country" will - apparently - have its own named coins, but they will circulate and be legal tender in both.

eurocoin

Quote from: Figleaf on October 15, 2015, 11:11:40 AM
Apart from the map, that sounds like 80-year old designs.

Peter

You are right about that, the coat of arms of Sint Maarten however, has also never been minted on a coin before.

eurocoin

Our forum member Jostein (owner of the website worldbcnews.com) has made some great visuals of the coins of the Caribbean guilder based on the official description from the Central Bank of Curaçao and Sint Maarten that can be found above.

This is what the coins of Curaçao will look like (click for large):

And this is what the coins of Sint Maarten will look like (click for large):

He has also made a visual of the coins of Curaçao showing the coat of arms, while Curaçao has decided to use the map rather than their coat of arms, I still think this looks much better on its own but also in combination with the series of coins of Sint Maarten.

My special thanks to Jostein for taking the time to make these visuals!

<k>

Quote from: Niels on December 27, 2015, 09:37:06 PM
Our forum member Jostein (owner of the website worldbcnews.com) has made some great visuals of the coins of the Caribbean guilder.

They are indeed beautiful, but are there any such coins? Will there be any such coins? What is the current status of this project?

Pabitra

The demand from either country for circulation mintage appears to be too low for economies of scale. Utrecht mint will not mint them unless it foresees a good demand of sets to be sold to the collectors. Aruba appears to be a different ball game since there exists a decent sized bunch of collectors who will lap up quite a few collector sets.
Utrecht mint is running in to an operational loss this year.