Helping other forum members with new coins issued at face value

Started by chrisild, November 24, 2008, 06:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Of course, I had traded with or bought from other ring members before, but today, I did my first euro transaction since we started the ring, with Christos in Greece. I hope many more will follow.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

xristaras33

Tom0000

There is my point of view in this discussion as collector circulation euro coins in UNC states.

I am from country which is not using euro coins in circulation. This makes , I do not have  a chance to exchange money for coins for face value in national bank in UNC state.
The only source for have something for swap is buy it. Does have it a sense ?
There are some people which offer coins in face value for people from country without euro in circulation. This is beautiful idea.
The problem is in cost of transport. I can swap this way with people from one country 1 or 2 coins and maybe full set , but the cost of transport is from 3 to 6 euro.

How am I collecting my coins? I have one trusted dealer. I am buying 90-95% of my coins from him , every year. The rest are expensive bu or proof from sets in very low mintage and better is finding it on ebay , if my dealer has only the source for it on ebay too. The cheapest 2e cc is costing 2.8e to the 3.5e for more expensive (except strangers like Lux 2010) , but I am a trusted customer for him and have some % discount. I am ordering coins 3-4 times during the year and cost of transport is free for me.

Swapping the coins for face value is nice idea, but it is not possible to make massive swap for many coins from one swapper. I think, my way to collection is not cheap per coin, but is cheaper then swap if I will compare per coin and transport.
I can think what will be when my country will start minting own euro coins. Will the swap be better than buy like now ? I think it will be more interesting and maybe will be cheaper if I will use standard mail. It costs 60c and it is cheaper than 1e. My swapper can have mail more expensive.
But is standard mail safe ? The registered is costing 1.9e and makes the transport more expensive than buy the coin.

Figleaf

I think Poland issues more than enough commemoratives to make swaps and I think there are enough people here who want to swap 2 zloty for euro. The only thing is that they can offer you mostly circulation coins. Try our ring members and see what happens. As Izotz has put it: swapping is so much fun you wonder why people are still buying...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Tom0000

You are right, but I am not collecting coins used in circulation in my country now. It will be replaced and it is "blind way" for me.
This means , it is hard to believe for me that someone else from outside of my country can be interested in collecting it :)

I have tried to find people for swap euro sets for zloty sets on swapper forum. It has no sense :( I do not surprise in it because I have the same point of view on it.

Bimat

Quote from: Tom0000 on March 03, 2011, 03:33:42 PM
This means , it is hard to believe for me that someone else from outside of my country can be interested in collecting it :)
In fact there are many collectors who are interested in Polish coins.  :)I have recently started collecting these 2 Zloty coins, they are really brilliantly struck.  8)

I don't mind buying them (as in your case, you are not interested in Indian coins) if someone is selling them for face or any price near face value. I understand that the older issues are difficult to get (I mean expensive) but if you can reserve one or two copies of 2 Zloty commemorative coins to be issued in 2011 (and 2012, 2013 and so on :D), then I'm definitely in!

Just to tell you how this concept really works, I have been trying to get newly issued Indian coins for face value directly from RBI and let other members get benefit of it. Indian rupee is very weak currency (both in terms of € or Zloty) but commemorative coins are really hard to get and dealers ask any notorious price for them. This idea has worked well not only with euro coins but also with Indian coins. So I'd say that you can at-least try how it works.  :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

I was thinking more of new issues. They are issued at face. It's just a question of finding out where to get them and when a new one appears. That can't be too difficult. Otherwise, send a PM to ford.ka. He gets newly issued Polish coins.

As an encouragement, I will post my want list of Polish coins on the "wanted" board.

Peter

izotz

I have bought many 2 zlote coins for 3 times their face value. You buy 2 euro CC for 1,5 times their face value. So for me, as euro collector, would be quite interesting to have a swap partner in Poland. I mean that it should not be difficult for you to get some euro coins (and fun) from other European swapper.  ;)

natko

With the last serie of euro coins, changed again in 2009-10 I desperately need some decent collector from whom I'll get all those varieties, as I don't actually have neither complete serie in UNC/BU quality and there are already 4 different types x 8 coins plus big/small stars!

Preferably if you miss many coins from Croatia and ex-Yugoslavia region, so we got room to swap.

Also, would like to fill a bit my pre-euro Belgian collection, but euros are, for the moment, my priority. PM please.

Thanks  ;D

Figleaf

Please refer to this thread. Can I add your name for Slovenia?

Peter

natko

Thanks a lot, but I don't think it's appropriate, as I couldn't satisfy needs for Slovenian euro coins. For example, I don't have many available Slovenian commemorative 2 euros (1 to 2 for each except 0 doubles for Rome treaty) and would be quite hard to obtain them for less than market price.

It appears as a trade euros for euros circuit which I can't really cover.

For a normal swap with various currencies, including Croatian of course I'll do well.

Figleaf

The ring is in the first place for new issues that can be obtained at face value, e.g. there will most probably be a euroland-wide commemorative 2 euro issue. I hope that by that time, the ring will be complete or almost complete, so everybody can have a complete set. It's just a question of can you secure new issues for other ring members and possible other members of the forum. It doesn't go beyond that.

You can always do other kinds of trades with all members. If Bimat can trade rupees for euros, you can trade whatever you have for euros. To stimulate thinking, I have posted my want list of coins of Yugoslavia, predecessor states and successor states here.

Peter

Bimat

@ natko :

Of course we are not asking anyone to offer Slovenia ToR for face value. :) We understand that the previous issues (2008, 2010) are not obtainable for face value now (and most of the members have already got them), but what about those coins which are not issued yet? The 2011 CC (Franc Rozman) is expected by end of this month and the €3 commemorative (20 years of independence) will be issued in June. May be you can get a couple of rolls for face and help other forum members..

BTW would you be able to provide Croatian 25 Kuna commemoratives? :D I just have one (2010-a 'circulating' commemorative with a mintage of 20,000 only :o). And there are many others if I remember correctly..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

natko

Yes, Bimat, I can get the 25 kuna commemoratives. Indeed, they're true circulation pieces (yet very scarcely seen in circulation). First 5 were issued in mintage of 300 000 each, so being 1,5 million total, one could see some maybe once in few months back then. Those two newer, no chance, of course, and didn't see any for years actually, probably so many people keep them (not only collectors).

I might also have Slovenian pieces, 3 euros are not circulation, just NCLT piece and sold on face value price.

We'll stay in touch, I'm VERY interested in Indian coinage and there are so many new types. I need to finish first the current 3-4 trades and fix some other real-life-stuff.

Bimat

That's great, natko! I have all the Slovenian €3 pieces, so it's not a problem for me. But as for Croatian 25 kuna pieces..I'd definitely need your help!

Aditya