Author Topic: Algeria: Au Chabanais "maison de société", Algiers  (Read 794 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Algeria: Au Chabanais "maison de société", Algiers
« on: November 17, 2013, 05:16:05 PM »
What a wonderful euphemism "maison de société" is! Given this establishment shares its name with one of the most famous brothels in Paris, I presume that this too was a house of ill repute, and clearly one seeking to attract an international clientele. From the look of it I'd suggest the date is interwar but any further info/corrections welcome.

I've put this in "Advertising tokens" but is this the token's function, or was it used for payment?

Brass, 29,7 mm, 6,03 g

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Algeria: Au Chabanais "maison de société", Algiers
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:38:59 AM »
There no longer is such a street in Algiers. However, I found it mentioned here as the former Impasse Monique.

The same page refers to a bain fréquenté des femmes galantes comme celui du rue du Chêne… The words "femmes galantes" are key. My research shows that around 1860, the term was used for women who have lower reservations towards sex than considered normal (it falls short of prostitute.) In later texts, it simply means gallant women. I wonder if it's not a meeting place for bored women?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline maxmissy

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
" Maison de Société "was used from time to time.
Another example :

Offline maxmissy

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 04:53:04 PM »
Another Chabanais ( This one was in Calais )

Offline maxmissy

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 04:54:33 PM »
And, last but not least, another one from Algiers ( Probably on of my prefered token ) :