Author Topic: Nederlands Indie - South Borneo? Maluka? Banjarmasin?  (Read 15883 times)

BC Numismatics

copper doit of Banjarmasin c. 1789-1817: South Borneo under British Admin.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 11:14:12 PM »
There exist more coins from Banjarmasin, than KM shows! You will find two of them in the catogue from Netscher/van der Chijs, plate XXVI. In the same book you can read, that Hare did struck coins for Banjarmasin.

Afrasi

Alexander,
   I've never ever heard of that catalogue.It sounds like it is a Dutch catalogue.

Aidan.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:35:58 AM by Rangnath »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Nederlands Indie - South Borneo? Maluka? Banjarmasin?
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 12:46:06 AM »
Very interesting piece, Afrasi. Like you, I haven't found any illustrations of Banjarmasin KM 5, but the description seems to fit, albeit that the metal is given as copper. By contrast, the Maluka coins listed in Pridmore do not fit.

I found a piece remarkably like yours, including many details of style, in Saran Singh, listed as SS 74 in the Singapore token section, cross-referenced as Pridmore 62. However, there are minor differences between the illustration in Saran Singh and your coin, notably: VEIC on yours reads VIIC in SS, 7 in date is upside down compared to yours, V's between scales are + in SS and your coin misses the first character in "Adil". I don't think these differences exclude that your piece is a variant of SS 74. SS list a similar token as SS 75 with "Adil" and V's exactly like yours on both sides. Your piece seems to be either a predecessor or an improved successor of SS 74, while SS 75 looks like an error strike of your piece.

The token in SS has a diameter of 21 mm and is cast in brass. Can you give metal and size, please? Also, the "ping" test will give you an indication of whether the piece is cast.

It should be clear that this is not a official UEIC coin but an imitation, necessarily produced without UEIC permission, probably locally.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:53:24 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 06:52:05 PM »
Dear Aidan and Afrasi,
Maluka was a small state founded by the Englishman Alexander Hare, within the old Sultanate of Banjarmasin, south Borneo (present Kalimantan). From the beginning of the 17th century the Sultanate of Banjarmasin had relations with the Portuguese, the Dutch and the British. The British founded a trade post there in 1698, but had to hand it over to the Dutch in 1733. In 1787 it became a vassal state under Dutch control, but due to the political situation in Europe the Dutch left it in 1809.
In 1811, the whole archipelago became under British administration. The Sultan of Banjarmasin requested for British assistance in 1812,  to suppress lawlessness and piracy.
The Lieutenant Governor of Java, Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles sent Alexander Hare as his representative and Resident commissioner for Borneo to Banjarmasin.
In 1812, Alexander Hare received as a personal concession an area of 2625 km² where he founded is own independent state of Maluka.
According to the London Convention of  13 august 1814, the Dutch receive the control back over their former possessions in the Indonesian Archipelago. The formal  transfer of power took place in 1816. By the 1st of January 1817 the relations with Banjarmasin were renewed and in 1818 Alexander Hare was declared persona non grata and expelled from Maluka.

An non-numismatic, but an interesting detail about Alexander Hare is that he was also a collector, but of beautiful woman. His sexual excesses and harem were the main reason for his expel from Borneo. He took his woman with him and left for the Cocos-islands were he started to create another paradise.  Some months later, however, another British ship arrived with onboard several man who settled themselves on the islands around Hare’s walled love nest and from than on the peace was gone. Hare’s harem became Hare’s hell.
For those who want to know more about it, should read the book: De man die vrouwen verzamelde; Een koloniale geschiedenis van de Kokos-eilanden, by Joop van den Berg (‘s-Gravenhage 1998).

Due to a local uprising in 1859 the Sultanat was officially resolved and became part of the Dutch administration.
Alexander Hare got about five different types of  doits struck with Malay-Arabic legends.
By the sultanate of Banjarmasin a large number of doits and kepengs have been produced which are without exception more or less imitations of the VOC, Dutch-East Indies and the British East India Company. J.P. Moquette (Iets over de munten van Banjarmasin en Maloeka, Tijdschrift voor Indische Taal, Land, en Volkenkunde, Batavia 1906) has correctly described this series for the first time. He illustrated 101 pieces, which could be by type, fabric and die-links be attributed to Banjarmasin. On account of the imitated dates on those doits it is presumed that the minting has started about 1789 and has continued till about 1817, when the Dutch authority was restored.
 A handy synopsis of this series can be found in the Oriental Numismatic Society’s Information Sheet 21 (May 1979) by Major Fred Pridmore: The copper doits of Banjarmasin c. 1789-1817.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:25:02 PM by Oesho »

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 11:47:28 AM »
Dear Oesho!

A little bit late, but a very warm "thank you" for your great help to me in understanding these coins. Unfortunately I do not have the ONS papers of 1979. I became a member in the 90s. I will search for the article of Major Pridmore!
In the next weeks I will show some more coins/tokens/fakes/?, which I did not find in Scholten, Singh, Millies or Netscher/van der Chijs.

Afrasi

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 12:12:50 AM »
Banjarmasin?  Maluka?  I can't wait to find out!
richie

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 01:19:23 AM »
The coin illustrated above, is an issue of Banjarmasin.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:50:54 PM by Oesho »

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 01:42:55 AM »
Wow Afrasi, your coin led to quite a story.  And thanks Oesho for providing it. 
Hare's Harem Hell?  I guess he should have behaved himself in Maluka.
richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 12:44:21 AM »
I have attached scans of Saran Singh to reply #16, so you can judge for yourself. Afrasi, we need to know if your piece is brass or copper, struck or cast (the "ping" test should give the answer).

I have found the coin I think Oesho is referring to in "Oeang, ruil- en betaalmiddelen in IndiŽ", the catalogue of a special exhibition in Arnhem held in 1999 (my translation):

167 Borneo; Pontianak: duit (copper; imitation of a Bombay paisa). Obverse: crowned, heart-shaped shield quartered with VEIC; underneath .ORI.. Reverse: a balance with VV and in Arabic script: justice (collection: Koninklijk Oudheidkundig Genootschap, Amsterdam).

Note that this coin is copper. Note also .ORI. underneath in the description, which is at odds with Afrasi's piece. The word "crowned" in the description is also strange.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:13:36 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »
Thank you Figleaf!

The coin is clearly struck with copper. Saran Singh's # 74 is similar, but, yes, the piece in the OEANG-catalogue meets it exactly.  :D  It's a pity, that this catalogue (I have a copy, but never did search there for this coin ...  :-[ ) has not very much pictures, and none of this number, too. The ".ORI." is most probably a misreading of the strange numerals. Where is the Koninklijke Oudheidkundig Genootschap located?

Afrasi

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 08:01:39 PM »
I was thinking more of SS #75, but if the piece is copper, it doesn't meet Saran Singh's description, even though I think you will agree that the side with the balance of your token and SS #75 are virtually, if not actually the same. The ping test should yield a high ping. I am wondering how the first 1 in 1791 could have been taken for a dot and where the second dot came from. I agree that it is too bad that the catalog wasn't better illustrated. There may have been more dies.

Koninklijk Oudheidkundig Genootschap
Frans van Mierisstraat 92
1071 RZ Amsterdam
Postbus 74888
1070 DN Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Monday - Thursday from 9:00-13:00 hours
Telephone 31 (0)20-6747380
E-mail: kog@rijksmuseum.nl
Web: http://www.kog.nu/

Peter

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2008, 08:23:19 PM »
Many thanks again!

I have mailed them for a scan.

Afrasi

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »
Excellent! If they agree to scan the coin, please ask permisson to reproduce it here. If they remain silent let me know. I have a phone and I can be a pain in the fatty part of the back if I want to ::)

Peter

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »
Hi Peter!

Until now they remain silent ...    :'(

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 09:26:19 PM »
Hello Peter!

Not any answer until now ...  >:(

What about your pain making abilities?  >:D

Offline Samuel Tan

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 11:43:52 PM »
Oesho and Afrasi,
I was born and grown up in Indonesia. In the Schools, we never heard about Alexander Hare ruled part of Kalimantan, nor Moluka. But then, here in the US, I learn that there were an independent "Chinese" Kingdom separate from China.
There was a study said that Hang Tuah, Indonesian and Malaysian Hero is Chinese decent. I guess the Indonesian history is inaccurate.
Samuel Tan