login

Author Topic: Indian sub-continent bibliography  (Read 13126 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
Re: Indian sub-continent bibliography
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 06:41:28 AM »
Ratlam State Coinage by S.K. Bhatt

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2015, 06:09:50 AM »
Recent and not-so-recent additions:

A Catalogue of the Greek and Indo-Greek Coins in the Department by TP Verma (Department of Ancient Indian History, Culture & Archaeology, Banaras Hindu University, First edition, 1983), 36 pages
More of a collectible than a useful reference. No plates.

A Study of Holkar State Coinage by PK Sethi, SK Bhatt, and R Holkar
The Coinage of Native States of Central India by SK Bhatt

Quite useful, with clear plates

South Asian Coins and Paper Money Indian Edition (Krause Publications in association with Marudhar Arts) (2013)
Fun Fact: When a 1/2 Dam of Elichpur mint is turned upside down, it becomes a Paisa of Jahangirnagar mint. ::) (Entries 341.2 and A341.2 on p. 96)

The Coins of the Sikhs by Hans Herrli
The best book for this series.

Punchmarked Coinage of the Indian Subcontinent: Magadha-Mauryan Series Revised Edition by PL Gupta and TR Hardekar (IIRNS, 2014)
A very useful revised edition of this o/p book. Standard reference for this series.

Coins of Jahangir: Creations of a Numismatist by Andrew V Liddle
Disappointing to a copper-collector because of the large number of hard-to-digest attributions. I haven't found myself going back to this even once, which is kind of sad as I was really looking forward to this book. :( The bright side is that I have the author-signed first edition, which I received at a substantial discount, thanks to Tariq.

Oriental Coins and their Values: The Ancient and Classical World 600 BC-AD 650 (in two parts) by Michael Mitchiner
I had been looking for this for a long time. Very useful and I find myself using it a lot.

The Silver Coinage of the Western Satraps in India (50-400 AD): Catalogue and Rarity Guide by AM Fishman
One of the best (if not "the" best) and most useful numismatic titles released last year (see THCoin's post on this board for a review). I don't find myself using anything else for Western Satraps. The only downer is the steep price.

Indo-Greek Rulers and their Coins by D. Raja Reddy
The less I write about this, the better. It's shorter than the introduction sections of some of the books. I can't figure out why something so sparsely illustrated was printed entirely on art paper. Thankfully, the copy I picked up from Amazon India was heavily discounted. :P

The Ancient Avanti and Its Coinage by SK Bhatt
Another title for which art paper could have been avoided and the money saved spent on adding one or two additional formes to illustrate the coins properly. The plates are very cramped and mostly too poor to make out any details.

A Catalogue of the coins of Katoch Rulers of Kangra by Amal Kumar Jha and Sanjay Garg
The best reference for this series, which isn't very "popular"

The Uniform Coinage of India 1835 to 1947: A Catalogue and Pricelist by Paul Stevens and Randy Weir
I hardly ever pick up a BI coin, so have't used this one (or Pridmore). Had to get this before it became o/p and the prices skyrocketed. :-P

Catalogue of Coins In the Panjab Museum, Lahore Volume 1 Indo-Greek Coins
Excellent-quality reprint by Hardpress (Classic Series). The plates are surprisingly clear.

Money of the People: Some Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Tokens of India by Roma Niyogi
Ramtankas: Hindu Religious Tokens illustrating themes from Ramayana by Michael Mitchiner
Very useful titles on temple tokens.

Coinage of Haidar Ali and Tipu Sultan: A Typological Study by Danish Moin
Useful little book with clear plates

Coinage in Ancient India: Volumes I and II by Svami Satya Prakash Sarasvati and Rajendra Singh
It's about metal testing or something. Sadly, my brain doesn't stand pages after pages of dry, academic material. I hope I manage to read it some day!

Encyclopaedia of Indian Coins (Ancient coins of Northern India, up to circa 650 AD) (in two volumes
by Prashant Srivastava
The entries are listed in A-Z encyclopedia format. Rather sparsely illustrated. Useful for picking up from time to time and reading a random entry for fun. With Google/Wikipedia the tradition use is probably obsolete.

Tribal Coins of Ancient India by Devendra Handa
A quality publication. Most of the photographs, however, are too poor to see any details. It is surprising how many publications suffer from this malady. The best book I have ever seen in this regard is Aman ur Rahman's "Zahir-uddin Muhammad Babur: A numismatic study". It is worth picking up for the quality of photographs alone, even if you will not collect a single coin of Babur (which are quite expensive anyway). Sadly, like so many great titles in this field, it is out of print.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2015, 11:19:34 AM »
I recently got The Coins of the Sikhs by Hans Herrli but was a bit disappointed, the illustrations of coins are hand drawn in the similar style of Valentine but a number of the Sikh coins in Valentines book are omitted because the auther did not consider them to belong under the Sikhs.
This includes some coins of Dera & Derajat although such coins continue to be listed under the Sikhs elsewhere inc on Zeno.
 I have 2 examples of another type which although listed in Valentine are totally omitted in this book, see here
Vic

Offline bububoy

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2015, 04:56:44 PM »
The bible for Portuguese India Coinage-

Moedas Portuguesa by Alberto Gomes

mahe