horse and bull jital

Started by mtayal, November 19, 2008, 05:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oesho

Dear Richie, 'Sri'is located to the left of the horse rider. Hamira (or Hamirah, becase of the two dots at the end with usualy represents an H) can be clearly seen on the coins D45 (reply#8) You can see the Ha-Ma-Ra-H.

Rangnath

Thanks Oesho. Two dots is the "H"?  I don't know whether to use  ::)  or  8).  Now I can see that the "sri" and the two other symbols that make up "Sri Hamira" in D 45 are identical to the symbols in my coin.  Decoding this is quite rewarding! 

What is the U shaped letter immediately above and to the left of the horse's head? I notice it in D45 as well as in my coin which is what? D10?
richie

Oesho

Dear Richie, I understand your question and I looked it up in the book of Robert & Monica Tye: Jitals (1995). Curiously enough they list similar coins under the Ghorids of Bamiyan as anonymous 'Muhammad bin Sam'. The H of Hamirah is inscribed more wavy and horizontal. Your piece looks to be a bit similar.
John Deyell, in his book: Living without silver (1990), illustrates similar coins and attribute them as derivatives of Muhammad bin Sam's coinage struck by the Khwarizm Shah.  Those illustrated by Deyell show errors and retrograde symbols in the legend. As the name of Muhammad bin Sam is correctly engraved on your coin, I would still like to attribute them to the Sultans of Dehli, except that the H of Hamirah has been engraved more horizontal.
As you may be aware by now, such minor details can make so much difference. How fascinating is Indian numismatics. You will never end learning.

Rangnath

Thanks so much.  I forget that the the shapes and position of letters and the spellings of words were not formalized; the engravers might or might not have been literate, and if literate, they may or may not have been literate in the language of the coin. The complexity of this series is staggering.
I did try to locate a copy of Robert and Monica Tye: Jitals, a few months ago, in our library loan system.  No luck then.  I shall try again.
richie