Author Topic: Stockholm ferry token  (Read 1699 times)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Stockholm ferry token
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »
I figured this one out almost completely. The issuer, the Stockholm Steamship Corporation promises to give the bearer on demand one single trip from S to D or vice versa. D probably stands for Dockan. However, (this is the part I haven't got yet) S could be Staden or Slipen.

However, the really amazing part is that this token is not among the 133 types listed for this company in Stockholms Polleter!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: Stockholm ferry token
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:32:24 PM »
Hadn't noticed that one was missing in Stockholms Polletter. Quite a few of the variations on the SÅAB tokens are.

However, it is listed in Smith and Smith (the 1981 edition), under Stockholm 820OF (but with a typo S-I rather than S-D). The SÅAB section of Stockholms Polletter cites the 1967 edition of Smith in its references, so I presume that the token was produced and used since 1967. This fits well with the fact that it is missing in SP - the compilers have concentrated on the older tokens. There are numerous holes in the coverage of modern entertainment-related tokens from Skansen and Gröna Lund, for example.

My understanding is that S–D stands for Slussen–Djurgården - i.e. the token is valid for one journey in either direction between those stops. This is moreover a journey that still requires a boat today if you want to avoid a long walk round via Gamla Stan and Skeppsbron, so that would have been equally valid in the 1960s-1980s when I think these tokens were in use.

However, irritatingly I have not listed in my records where I unearthed that explanation for S–D, only that I did do so. It's not explained in Smith and I've just done a search on Google and not found anything relevant. I suspect I asked that very question at a meeting of the token section of Göteborgs Numismatiska Förening and failed to note who gave me the answer...  ::)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »
Another problem solved. I'll take your word for it, all the more because it sounds logical. Those steamboats are still in use and very pleasant on one of the five warm days a year. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:53:14 AM »
Just for the record, another one I did not find in SP. Signed Eric Cumelius, 2.0 grams, 20.8 mm along the sides.

Peter

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:56:42 PM »
This 20 ore token appears to be Sweden 820 LQb in the Smith & Smith (1981) catalogue. The manufacturer was Eric Gumaelius. White metal (copper-nickel) examples also exist.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
Thank you, Kushi. In SP, the white metal variant has a coat of arms in the centre on the side without value.

Peter

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »
The white metal variant was produced by Sporrong.

I've discovered a number of omissions in SP where the basic type is listed (i.e. right denomination and shape) but the particular combination of metal and maker's stamp is missing. Agree with Kushi on the rest of the attribution.

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 02:54:28 AM »
The Smiths also indicate that there are identical white metal pieces make by Morell & Co. (SWE 820 LPb) and Gumaelius (SWE 820 LPc).

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:39:06 PM »
Sorry, yes, I meant the white metal one that Peter mentioned in SP was Sporrong. :-)