Author Topic: Other new 2 commems planned for 2009.  (Read 4527 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: Other new 2 commems planned for 2009.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 12:13:10 PM »
I wonder how the dealers outside Cyprus will be able to offer the coin at a reasonable price,considering that charging 25 times the face value is just plain ridiculous.The Central Bank of Cyprus shouldn't be calling the 2009 E.M.U. commemorative 2 Euros a coin,as seen as it won't be either available at face value,or found in circulation.To me,it would have to be classed as a medal-coin.

Maybe this was a misunderstanding: The procedure and prices that I mentioned apply to the 5 collector coin and are those for, umm, consumers. :) Dealers may well have to deal with different terms and conditions.

How these coins are sold, is basically up to each member state government or mint. When it comes to dealing with end customers, the Dutch mint for example will only sell to people in the EU. The Finnish mint takes it even further and sells to customers in Finland only. The European Council decided, about ten years ago, that collector coins (those regional pieces) can be sold at face or more - what the member states then do is their business. Guess that, if the EU aimed at regulating those conditions, that would be a reason for people to complain about red tape ...

As for the 2 coin, most of the Cyprus pieces will - as in all other member states - be issued at face. Some will be in sets or maybe coincards, don't know, and these will cost more. We will have to wait and see.

Christian

BC Numismatics

Other new 2 commems planned for 2009.
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 12:21:21 PM »
Christian,
  Thanks for your reply here.I've also posted a reply to the equivilant thread up on Numisforum regarding this matter in relation to the Cypriot E.M.U. commemorative 2 Euros.

Aidan.