UK Fantasy transportation tokens

Started by malj1, October 24, 2013, 07:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

A number of fantasy transportation tokens have recently appeared on eBay.

These were manufactured some years ago, in fact before the last edition of the catalogue by Smith & Smith appeared in 1990. [Not in the first edition of 1967]

All are oval and of a quality that is too good to be true. the brass is apparently of recent origin and artificially aged.

I have one piece; that for the STAFFORDSHIRE POTTERIES STREET RAILWAY CO LIMITED. The reverse looks more like a wall plaque than a token! This reverse is used for each of the fantasies. Some  are even for fantasy companies.

The catalogue entries are also shown below.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

Image saved of the fantasy piece that is currently on eBay. The similarity will quickly be noticed.

Leicestershire Street Railway. Brass, 18mm x 24mm.

Malcolm

malj1

Here is the third fantasy piece; this was sold on eBay three weeks ago. [9 bids] Winning bid: £39.78

Warwickshire Street Railway. Brass, 18mm x 24mm. The similarity here too will quickly be noticed. Money for jam as they say. ::)

Malcolm

andyg

Thanks Mal, these deceptive if you just find one token without knowing the existence of the others.

Being local to the Leicestershire one, I was surprised that I could not find any reference to "Leicestershire Street Railway Company Ltd" - I guess I shouldn't have been!
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

malj1

A search on Google just brought up the Staffordshire Potteries Street Railway token; this too sold on eBay just three weeks ago, from the same seller.

[11 bids] Winning bid: GBP 36.22

Brass, 18mm x 24mm

The London Transport Museum show a Pre-payment token for G F Train's Staffordshire Potteries Street Railway, c1863 ...Hopefully this is a genuine piece.
Token fare : GF Train's first trams in London failed. But he did set up a successful 2km (1½ mile) tramway in Staffordshire. This token shows a tram at Marble Arch from Train's first London line during its brief existence in 1861.
Reference number: 1994/670
Source.
Malcolm

andyg

The Leicestershire one sold £56.65 - someone is in line for a big disappointment.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

malj1

Lets hope he searches and finds it listed here on this page. I see it attracted 11 bids, which are hidden this time.

Malcolm

malj1

Another specimen of the STAFFORDSHIRE POTTERIES TOKEN - STREET RAILWAY CO - LIMITED is now on eBay at an asking price of £32.00

Unfortunately I cannot see any way of saying whether it is the genuine token or a fantasy. It certainly looks good.

The first piece in this thread has some mould imperfections that don't appear on this one.
Malcolm

Kushi

With the lack of a denomination or something like "Good for One Fare", I would seriously doubt that even the originals qualify as transport fare tokens. Can anyone come up with contemporary documentation?

Unless proven otherwise, they are attractive historic souvenirs, but not much more.

malj1

I have this little note I got from somewhere:

The Staffordshire Potteries Street Railway Co Ltd (1863-1879): constructed and operated; well patronised; sold to The North Staffordshire Tramways Co Ltd.

So there is a window of fifteen years.
Malcolm

malj1

Another very convincing token from the non-existent Leicestershire Street Railway is on eBay at present.
Malcolm

malj1

I think the John Phillips Proprietor Liverpool City Omnibus transport token must be a fantasy too as there are two on eBay at present very cheaply along with other fantasies while there have been yet others recently too.

Malcolm

malj1

Here is the second piece. [a different scan as there is no blemish on the "P"]

He also has another 'Leicestershire Street Railway Transport Token'
Malcolm

malj1

These all use the same (Marble Arch) die. The tell-tale diagnostic is that there is a small oval in the border circle to the right of the 'S which once seen is very obvious in all the other images above.

Here is my Staffordshire potteries replica again with the oval highlighted.
Malcolm

malj1

Looking again at the London Transport museum's token this shows more signs of wear and the edge looks much more normal. Undoubtedly a genuine example.
Malcolm