Author Topic: Mamluk Dirham of Al-Nasir Muhammad: 1315 to 1336  (Read 7336 times)

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Mamluk Dirham of Al-Nasir Muhammad: 1315 to 1336
« on: January 29, 2008, 01:13:11 AM »
Well, at least I know which way is up with this coin.  I thought that when I first looked at it that it would be a coin of an Indian Sultanate between 1200 and 1500 AD.  But I can not locate it in any of my meager resources. 
It is rather like the color of silver.  It is 19 mm across and weighs 3.5 grams; a perfect weight for a small coin. It is not an example of beautiful calligraphy but seems to have been very utilitarian; a workhorse coin.   
I thought that I could read "Hasan" on the second line of what I call the obverse. Could I be right? On the reverse, at the top is the phrase "Al Sultan al-a'Zam", I think. 
It was advertised as "an old Indian coin" and I paid three dollars for it.  If it turns out to be from modern day Iran or Afghanistan, I won't ask for my money back.  In fact, I wouldn't ask for my money back if it turns out to be from Aimes, Iowa or Lima, Peru.  But I'd still like to know more of its history.
richie
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 08:21:04 PM by Rangnath »

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: Silver or Billon Jital: Maybe?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:12:55 AM »
What happened to the image of the coin Richie?
Oh, here it is.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 03:09:25 PM »
Richie, Its's not an Indian coin, but which dynasty is is I just don't know. On the obv. it reads the Kalima with a sentence below, that is not very clear. The reverse reads sometingh like .../ al Nasir.. / al-ud-Din Mohammad ../..
I hope, while going through Mitchiner's World of Islam, to be able to trace it.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 04:50:47 PM »
I would have been surprised if the coin was from India.  I'll go back to the Fitzwilliam Museum and look at their Islamic collection. Perhaps I'll be lucky. Thanks for the information Oesho. I wish that I could say that I can find  Mohammad where you indicated, but I can not yet.  But I will certainly look again!
richie

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »
Richie, when you search, look for the Kwarizm Shahs. Perhaps it is an issue of Al-al-Din Muhammad bin Tekesh of Kwarizm.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 06:15:30 PM »
Oesho, I looked at some coins from the Kwarizmshahs (or Khwarizm Shahs or..), but I saw nothing that reminded me of this coin in terms of style. 
But I did find a Mamluk coin that seemed similar.  Perhaps I am getting closer?

Maker/s   Muhammad I (1293-94, 1299-1309, 1310-41) (ruler)
Hamah (mint)

dirham (denomination)
Islamic (Series)
Egypt and Syria (subseries)
Mamluks (subsubseries)

Material/s    silver

Dimensions   image(height): 19 mm
image(width): 20 mm
die axis: 185 degrees
weight: 3.2 g
Date   circa 1315 to 1336
Inscriptions/Marks   1.   design
Position: obverse
Description: Legend in plain circle.
2.   design
Position: reverse
Description: Legend in plain circle.
Production Notes    Third reign
Catalogue ref/s   1650
IS-1613
Accession Number    CM.IS.710-R (Coins and Medals)
(Reference Number: 105209; Input Date: 2004-08-05 / Last Edit: 2007-05-11)

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 07:07:50 PM »
Dear Richie, I don't think you will get any closer. Well done!! Excellent :)

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 08:19:50 PM »
Thanks so much Oesho.   You gave me the confirmation that the coin was indeed not from India. That allowed me to commit myself to a search elsewhere and, thanks to you, with the name of the ruler!
I think that I can now find the "symbol" for Muhammad.  You were certainly correct about the name.  His full name was al-Malik al-Nasir Nasir al-Din Muhammad ben Qalawun according to Wikipedia.
He was quite a ruler; as deserving of a Hollywood film as any. I'd be willing to caste Zhang Ziyi as his Mongolian Princess.  Any thoughts on who would play al-Nasir al-Din Muhammad?  ::)
richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Mamluk Dirham of Al-Nasir Muhammad: 1315 to 1336
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 11:09:02 PM »
Impressive, Rangnath. The coin, your determination and the story in Wikipedia. Would Syria have been Islamic today if the battle had been lost? The more you read about the history of this corner of the earth, the more you realise how little you know.

The actor? Erroll Flynn. :P

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 01:17:04 AM »
That gave me the biggest laugh of the day. I was hoping to get a more cerebral actor, but it is no doubt that Erol Flynn has the good looks.

But about Al-Nasir Muhammad; that is one compelling story!
richie

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 11:52:44 AM »
I just got one of these in the mail today. 3.13g, so a bit light. 18-20 mm. Hamah mint I guess. Matches the style.

I think the beaded border is characteristic of his third reign, like this one on Zeno dated, supposedly, AH [7]32 though I cannot find a date anywhere. Is it written out in words instead of numbers?